Wednesday, July 04, 2007

I know it's real slow, honey...

2 days of my course done, 12 more to go.

I laugh at the ridiculousness of *me* having to sit in a student in a desk in a high school classroom. Although, it's strange how one can morph back into student mode very easily. Yesterday, I showed up to the first day, only carrying a pen and a little notebook in my bag; there were some people with neatly organized binders with actualy dividers. I tend to be like that when it comes to my actual school work; but since taking this course is a contractual obligation, I decided that my act of rebellion would be to be a little disorganized and shove my papers into my bag just like some of my own students do. Heck, at the very least, I felt that I was representing my school with flair.

Anyway, today at lunch I broke down and bought a folder for my papers at Grand & Toy. I couldn't hack the disorganization anymore; but still, at least I'm not one of the people who has a binder with dividers.

After the irony of me sitting in a desk wore off, I was surprised at how easily I morphed into student mode and how comfortable the familiar position felt. I listened most of the time, but my mind did wander and when it did, I made up math problems for myself to solve. I wish I had a cooler talent like drawing, but no, that's what I was given.

I was lucky enough to sit behind the class clown. Even in a room full of teachers, there's one. He teased me for being a keener and highlighting what I read; it's really not a strategy to enhance my learning; I've always done it to stay awake when I'm reading something that I'm forced to read. Then we noticed that our intructor had left the room, and everyone was still quietly reading, and then had a good laugh picturing what would happen if we left our classes in the same manner. Reading is the last thing they'd be doing.

Being a student in a classroom setting made me wonder how I was able to hack being a student for 18 years. I think it helped that from grade 11 on, I more or less took stuff I was interested in (math and science) and that I wasn't in the same windowless room for 6 hrs a day. Yeesh.

After class, I had a productive evening scrounging up some boxes, and adhering to the packing schedule that I made myself yesterday while half-listening to the introductory material in class. Today was clearing out my bathroom day. I have an unfortunate condition that I will call BPADD - Beauty Product Attention Deficit Disorder. I'll by a new shampoo, conditioner, eyeshadow, moisturizer, what have you, use it a few times, and then awhile later I'll go shopping and find a new product. The old product will be shoved under my sink, and I'll try the product. A lot of half finished bottles of product were chucked today. When I move, I'm going to put myself on a strict cosmetic diet - I'm not allowed to buy anything new 'til I finish what I have. Yeesh.

Aside - I have the sweetest friends. One of my fave coworkers went to school today, and noticed a that a shipment of paper had come in for summer school, so she unpacked it for them and then brought me a bunch of boxes. I'm so lucky.

Okay, bed time. I'm going to try to be super attentive in class tomorrow.

4 comments:

Kelly said...

Hang in there, you'll make it through

AlieMalie said...

good luck with your course. i think it's awesome that you tried to buck the organisation. :)

The Grunt said...

There has to be some kind of ancient Chinese proverb for this role reversal you're going through, Christielli. I don't know what that would be but I bet it is really awesome.

wes said...

lol, you didn't goof off when the teacher left the room? I'm disappointed christielli, that was your golden opportunity to have some fun. ;)

You should bring your ipod to class and listen to it during class, see how much trouble you can get into. :p