Thursday, November 29, 2007

Crosswords hidden in the landscape...

I feel that I am falling behind in everything. Schoolwork, reading for book clubs, Christmas cards, Christmas shopping, cleaning, socializing, everything. I have a to-do list that seems to grow daily.

So what have I been doing?

Knitting while watching music videos.

Yesterday, the fates decided that I was going to make giant strides forward in realizing one of my life-long goals: learning to knit mittens.

I had decided that after work, I'd stop by the Starbucks in Indigo, treat myself to a biscotti and latte, and start the book that I should have read by Saturday. I read for a bit, then decided that I'd browse around the store. On the bargain book table, I came across a book on knitting. I skimmed through it and noticed a pattern for mittens. I looked over it, and realized that it required skills that I didn't have. But, said skills were explained elsewhere in the book and looked possible. I got excited, bought the book, and proceeded to the craft store and acquired the new needles that I needed to knit mittens. Whenever I start a new project, I always have to buy some new yarn, so I got some fun blue yarn.

I raced home in the cold, and kerplunked on the couch with my new supplies and book. I started to teach myself how to knit in the round on double-pointed needles, and by the end of the evening, I had almost a whole cuff completed. I also listened to a good portion of MuchMusic's list of top 100 videos. I can't believe they were actually showing videos. I thought they'd abandoned those.

This evening I got a lot more of my first mitten finished while watching Ugly Betty, the Office, and more music videos. Here's a picture of my progress.



So, in summary, maybe I am behind in all of the everyday trivialities of life, but in the meantime, I am in the process of checking off a thing on my lifelong to-do list, so I guess that puts me ahead of things after all.

1 comment:

AlieMalie said...

ok, yes, nerdy, but i can't really give you any flack about it given that i was in the same boat this time last year knitting up a storm.

totally awesome that you're learning mittens! i'm envious!