The show I'm referring to, of course, was the Weakerthans with Jenn Grant and *Christine Fellows* at the Phoenix. It's been over 2 years since I last saw the Weakerthans play in Toronto, and I'm glad that long spell is over. After chatting with various people, and reading reviews of the show, it seems to be the general consensus that the Weakerthans have really developed into such a dynamic live band with a high energy show. I totally concur, which makes me ponder how awesome is the existence of a band with such strong songwriting and a great live show.
Anyhow, my dear friend Becca T was able to go to the show with me, even though there was a early scare that she wouldn't be able to attend because of a work-related commitment. Thankfully she was able to get out of that. We met up early for a sushi dinner (quelle surprise) and discussion of what merchandise we were going to buy, what songs we wanted to hear, and how psyched we were that another favourite artist of ours, Christine Fellows, was opening.
We got to the show sufficiently early enough to purchase some stuff (a curling-related Weakerthans t-shirt and the new Christine Fellows CD for me), and stake out a really good spot very close to the stage. Our spot afforded us such a great view; there have been times I've been at the Phoenix and haven't been able to see very well at all, but last night was great.
Christine Fellows came on first (I owe Becca T a coffee because I did not recognize her with a different hair colour). She only played new stuff. It was all highly enjoyable and well performed, but I was really hoping to hear "Souvenirs" live. But, no worries, because she has a December 14th show here that Becca T and I will definitely attend.
The second opening act, Jenn Grant, was perfectly cromulent. Ron Sexsmith made a guest appearance during one number. Of course, I must admit that I was too excited for my favourite band of all-time to play to really fully pay attention.
I felt like that Weakerthans have entered a new phase of their evolution with this show. They now have lights and don't have to set up their own equipment like the old days. Jim Bryson also played with them. They opened with Psalm for the Elks' Lodge Last Call. The entire set was amazing. I even enjoyed the song "History for the Defeated" which is my least favourite Weakerthans song. The song opens with the line "There's blood in the sink, he's plunging his wrists in." I find this line so graphic and disturbing that I cannot listen to it comfortably. For this reason, I don't even have that song on my iPod. Anyhow, it was the first time I have seen it live, I think, and it was well-performed, of course, but it won't be making its way on to my iPod anytime in the near future.
I was very psyched that they played my very favourite song of all time, "Reconstruction Site", because they hadn't played it when I saw them in Hamilton in June. Another highlight for me was "Manifest" because I like the trumpet in that song. I enjoyed "Benediction" as well, because Christine Fellows came on to sing the Sarah Harmer vocals. Highly enjoyable. My only *slight* disappointment was that they didn't play "Reunion Tour" which is my favourite song from the new album.
I didn't bring my camera to the show because it takes crappy live pictures, and I get distracted when I try to take picture and I'm happier without it. Below is a picture of John K Samson from the Chart Magazine review of the show.
Anyhow, yay for concerts and I'm so excited to see them again in Toronto sometime soon.
3 comments:
Sounds like an awesome show. I think I'm gonna have to decide against bringing my camera to shows from now on. Or at least til I get a new one for those low light shots.
so glad you had an awesome time - but would expect nothing less when Christielli takes in the Weakerthans. :)
I wish I could have been there. *Le sigh*
Post a Comment