Typically, I do some sort of year end post where I list what I enjoyed from the previous year. Instead, I've decided to sum up 2007 (albeit belatedly), using the year-end survey that's made the rounds.
1. What did you do in 2007 that you’d never done before? I moved into an apartment all by myself sans roommate.
2. Did you keep your new years’ resolutions, and will you make more for next year? According to a post from December 2006, my new year’s resolution was “"Do one thing at a time and who the eff cares?” Did I keep it? I think so. I’ve kept my focus on certain things this year and I’m proud of myself for it. Did I stop worrying so much? Probably not, but I’ll worry about that later.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth? Nope, not this year.
4. Did anyone close to you die? Thank goodness no.
5. What countries did you visit? I stayed in Canada and the US, but going out west is a huge trip, I think. I covered a lot of Canada: Edmonton, Jasper, Vancouver and surrounding area, and Victoria. I did a mini-trip to Montreal too, which was cool because I had never properly visited that city. On the American side, I made it to Seattle, which was way cool, and I did a few cross-border shopping trips in NY and Michigan thanks to our kickass Canadian dollar.
6. What would you like to have in 2008 that you lacked in 2007? A few more romantic misadventures would be nice.
7. What dates from 2007 will remain etched upon your memory, and why? July 14th because that’s the day I moved into my own place.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year? Getting my permanent contract at work. I’m now in it for life, I suppose.
9. What was your biggest failure? Failure schmailure!!!
10. Did you suffer illness or injury? Nothing major besides the odd cold here and there.
11. What was the best thing you bought? Well, when you get to question #17, I’ll lament that I spent a lot of money in 2007. However, some of my favourite of the many purchases I made this year revolve around my beloved Weakerthans. I bought tickets to two Weakerthans shows (Hamilton in June, and Toronto in November), their fabulous new album Reunion Tour and two Tshirts from each concert. I also enjoyed buying the final Harry Potter book and Starbucks mugs from Vancouver, Seattle, and Montreal.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration? My parents, because they both are better after hard times in the last months of ’06 and beginning months of ’07. I’ve had pretty good classes this year too; so that’s definitely worth celebrating.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed? Oh gosh, it’d probably be a long list with the current state of the world. Ummm, I’ll just make it short and sweet and say GWB and Steven Harper; both dudes I’m not fans of. Oh yes, and I have a coworker whose behaviour is up there with GWB and SH when it comes to appalling me.
14. Where did most of your money go? What with the moving, new furniture and other apartment accoutrements, traveling, new clothes, concerts, CDs, books, and nights out, it definitely went.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about? The last Harry Potter book, traveling out west, new Weakerthans album, and lots of concerts.
16. What song will always remind you of 2007? Lots and lots actually. The albums Hospital Music by Matt Good and Marriage by Attack in Black will remind me of my trip out west. Songs that will be forever associated with this year would be The Con by Tegan and Sara, 1234 by Feist, Roosterspur Bridge by Tori Amos, and Civil Twilight by the Weakerthans.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder? Happier
b) thinner or fatter? Thinner
c) richer or poorer? As I mentioned in questions 11 and 14, a lot of stuff was purchased, so I’m poorer.
18. What do you wish you’d done more of? Spending time with friends. I need to make an effort to get together with old friends outside of parties ‘n such.
19. What do you wish you’d done less of? Fretting over little details.
20. How will you be spending Christmas? I spent Christmas in St. Ratford hanging out with friends and family.
21. Did you fall in love in 2007? Nope.
22. How many one-night stands? None.
23. What was your favorite TV program? The Office.
24. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year? Nope, really there is only one person currently in my life that I strongly dislike, and I’ve disliked this dude for awhile.
25. What was the best book you read? Sex with the Queen by Eleanor Herman. Before you jump to any conclusions, I’ll let you know that it’s a history book that covers the romantic misadventures of Queens through history. It was dishy and educational and fun.
26. What was your greatest musical discovery? The band Great Lake Swimmers. I listen to them a lot, and saw them play once in 2007 too. I was unfamiliar with them before 2007.
27. What did you want and get? A nice apartment.
28. What did you want and not get? Perhaps more romantic misadventures? (Maybe I have been badly influenced by reading about all of the action those queens were getting.)
29. What was your favorite film of this year? Sweeney Todd!!!!! Oh, and I really enjoyed Harry Potter #5.
30. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you? I was 27, and I spent it at work, and then watching the new episode of the Office while eating dinner with my now former roommate and my dear pal Becca T.
31. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying? Perhaps more romantic misadventures?
32. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2007? I had a student tell me that my outfits are cool and well put together. So I’ll quote her.
33. What kept you sane? Honestly, the students at my school surprisingly keep me sane, even though sometimes they do the opposite. But daily, they help me remember what really is important in life, and also make me chuckle too. Awww, that *almost* makes me want to go back to work on Monday.
34. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most? Jim Halpert from the Office and Peter Petrelli from Heroes. (Not the actors, but the specific actors *in character* is what I fancy).
35. What political issue stirred you the most? The environment and human rights.
36. Who did you miss? My friend Alison who is teaching in Japan and a few other friends who are working overseas.
37. Who was the best new person you met? I really didn’t meet anyone *new* that I care about. I did meet several blog buddies *in person* for the first time, but I’ve been reading their blogs for ages, so are they really new??? However, I feel that some friendships really grew in 2007, and that’s definitely awesome.
38. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2007: I'm stronger than I think I am.
39. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year: A few lines from the song "When It Flows" by Great Lake Swimmers have kept me grounded this year:
"Because everything is the way it is
And everything is perfect in their imperfections
And everything is placed the best
And it is now, and it is here
And tomorrow is another now
Waiting to happen "
Anyhow, I guess that summarizes 2007 in a nutshell. I had a good new year's eve, and so far 2008's treated me well since I'm still on holidays (until Monday creeps around). I'm back in Toronto and enjoying just chilling for a few days before the inevitable return to the daily grind.
Hope 2008 kicks ass for you all! :D
5 comments:
lol, you mentioned "romantic misadventures" twice, I'm sensing a theme. :p
Enjoy your last weekend of freedom! :)
I saw Sweeney Todd twice. I liked it a lot.
It seems that many of us doing this meme have mentioned romantic adventures or misadventures! Intersting....
sweeney todd was awesome!
hope 2008 is fantabulous for you as well. :) and with lots and lots of martinis! ;)
How is 2008 going so far?
Post a Comment