Monday, September 08, 2008

So I'll curate some situations, make my job a big vacation...

Two blog posts in two days? What is this? My blogging heyday circa 2005/2006? Well, no, don't expect a post tomorrow, but I had a really good Monday (of all days) and it just required a post.

Anyway, when I arrived at work this morning, I saw a very full mailbox in the staffroom and realized that it was mine. In between the usual crap, were two books. One was wrapped secretly in an opaque plastic bag with a note explaining that a friend of mine was passing along an inside joke that was given to her from a friend of hers and to not open it with people around.

The second book was a book about Haunted Ontario. This puzzled me, because there was no note attached. I thought perhaps maybe it was for the library, and accidentally placed in my mailbox, but then I remembered that I do really like ghost stories, and perhaps that someone *was* giving it to me. I thought about who at school would know about my inner gothiness, and suspected it was a gift from my pal with whom I went to San Fran. Either that, or maybe it was a gift from some ghost in the school. Hmmm, even better! Anyway, I did track down my San Fran buddy and it was indeed her who gave it to me. However, this does not mean that there are not ghosts in my school. I know that there are the ghosts of some past students that haunt me still. Ha-ha.

While I was enjoying the books in my mailbox, another coworker of mine gave me a free train ticket to go home to St. Ratford for Thanksgiving weekend. She'd be on a train that was late, and got a free ticket in turn, and couldn't use it, so thought of me. Yay! That saves me some change!

I finally made the trek up to the third floor, opened my secret inside joke book and had a good laugh with my work spouse. (Sorry, I can't divulge the contents of the book... it's a little incriminating. I know, I know. Really cruel.) Then, I remembered that there was an assembly period 1 which means I wouldn't have teach, just sit in the caf with the kids and perhaps have an eyes-open nap.

My next period was my prep, and I needed a few things from the dollar store for a lab I want to do this week, so I wandered over to the mall, got the stuff, a coffee, and picked up Season 4 of the Office on DVD.

My afternoon was really good. Both of my classes made me feel like a really good teacher.

On my way home from work I got sushi for supper.

Then, in the evening, I walked to Becca T's neighbourhood, and we went out for tea at Starbucks. I am addicted to their Zen tea. Yum. Also, Becca T spotted a notice in Starbucks that Mondays are teacher appreciation days at Starbucks, and teachers get a free coffee. Hey... there are about 3243 Starbuckses in Toronto, so ya think I could score that many free coffees in one day? Oh my, just thinking of all of that caffeine gives me the shakes.

Even though I had to walk to and from Becca T's in the rain, I found out that my new over-priced hoodie is rather water-resistant for a hoodie.

I hope all Mondays this year are this pleasant.

5 comments:

Jocelyn said...

wow, it sounds like you had a really great day! so happy for you!

Aaron said...

Hah, I was actually checking in and going to post that I had seen an ad about the free monday Starbucks. Good thing you already caught this week!

Claire said...

"Both of my classes made me feel like a really good teacher."

Love when that happens!

Cxx

The Grunt said...

Well, you are a really good teacher. How do I know this? I don't know. I just do:D

Thomas said...

So we can expect regularly scheduled posts from here on out?