Happy autumnal equinox! This really should be my favourite day of the year, since fall is my favourite season, but it's really been fall in my books since I had to put on the ol' teacher threads and be back in that mode. So really, today's not really the beginning of anything for me, but today's Google logo made me a little bit happy.
My iPod has wisdom in it that astounds me. When I put it on shuffle, it can often find just the right song to cheer me up. Lately, I've been feeling a little bit on the emo side. This could be the result of listening to too much emo, or not enough emo. It's a deliciate balance, I think. Anyhow, my iPod's been giving me a lot of Weakerthans and Christine Fellows in the mix which makes me feel less emo, and more autumnal, and more content. So good for it.
Speaking of Christine Fellows, I just found out that she's playing here in October, which means another potential concert for me. That will make #8. I've never had such a lineup in my life, but I like it.
Last night, as I was trying to fall asleep with my usual case of the Sunday night blues, I was thinking about my logical/mathematical side. I don't know how many of you are familiar with Gardner's Theory of Multiple Intelligences, but it's something that I've learned about many times in my educational path. When I've taken the quizzes, it turns out that my linguistic and interpersonal intelligences are rather high, but my logical/mathematical intelligence could kick their collective asses.
I've always liked the regularity of numbers. I have a deep longing/need for certainty in my life, and I think that's why I've always been drawn to numbers. Math was always my best class in school, and I loved it because I could always get the right answer. Even if I made a mistake, I loved that I could always find it and make sense of it. For those reasons, I've always been drawn to all things logical/mathematical. In fact, when I'm bored, I make up equations for myself to solve, and when I'm trying to calm myself down, I sometime recite my favourite formulas in my head. Yes, this would make most normal people probably more upset, but it does the trick for me.
Anyway, I got to thinking how I wished there were equations that I could solve for many things that I am uncertain of in life. Or even if there was some grand equation that could explain human behaviour. Life would be so much simpler then. I've actually come across books that try to attempt such things in a semi-jokey/semi-serious way, but I see right through their assumptions in a heartbeat.
Right now I'm trying to figure something out, and I think I'm on the right track, but a formula would really be helpful is all I'm saying.
Also, you may be wondering why I'm not a math teacher. Well, it's so hard to explain numbers to someone who can't make sense of them when they are so clear to me. I sometimes teach math, but I've been lucky enough to teach science most of the time, and the rest of the time I have my class for remedial type kids who are working on every subject under the Sun, including math. Anyway, I steer clear of math, because it often makes me want to weep when someone just can't get it. Not that I blame them; I understand some people's brains just aren't wired that way. No big deal. I can't even throw a softball or draw a straight line or sing on key so I can't judge. And I know there are a lot of people who would get frustrated trying to show me how to do those things.
Anyway, I think what I'm trying to say is that if there were nice equations for everything in life I would be far less emo, but since there are not, my iPod can often do the trick for me. I just may have taken a couple points away from my linguistic intelligence with this post.
2 comments:
Hey, you know my opinion on this - a little bit of emo does you good.
Cxx
Is Emo sorta like the blues, in a more suburban sense?
Here's your equation, Christy: ME=MC^2.
Do you like gypsy music? You should hear a CD that a friend of mine did. Let me know. He and I are going to do a project for Halloween. It's gonna be interesting.
Post a Comment