Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Wow.

I just finished this book.* (Potentially wonky link: here's another.) It's seriously one of the most inspirational things I've ever read in my life.

I read it because the author is actually coming to talk to our staff during a PD day on Friday, and we were encouraged, but not required, to pick up the book to read it before Friday's PD. I just got it yesterday, and I finished it tonight. I'm still reeling from the emotional impact that it had on me.

I can honestly say that I never understood the conflict between Israel and Palestine. Becca T took an entire course in university on the subject; and her conclusion was that she still doesn't get it. This book hasn't really explained the whys of the conflict to me; other than it is rooted in extremism on both sides. However, the author, who lost the lives of three daughters and one niece as a result of the conflict, feels that the solution lies in forgiveness, understanding, dialogue, and peaceful coexistence.

I couldn't imagine living under the conditions described in this book. The fact that the author was able to used education as a means of ascending from abject poverty is an inspiration in itself. The scene of the death of the author's family is one of the most horrific things I've ever read. And the fact that the author has not become hateful as a result of this tragedy and has moved on to seek peace is mind-blowing.

There are so many lessons to be learned from this book. I love how the author's love of humanity transcends religion, race and culture. One theme that that author keeps repeating throughout the book is that "out of something bad comes good." That message is something for me to remember at the worst of times; I pray I'll never face bad times like those in this book, but it's definitely another touchstone to keep me grounded during my own bad times.

I encourage everyone to read this book. I'm really looking forward to hearing the author speak on Friday. I can't believe I'm actually looking forward to a PD day. I'm so thankful that I was able to be exposed to this book as a result of my job. Not only to I get to deal with the hilarious antics of teenagers on a daily basis, I get to experience personal growth. Win.

Anyway, with that said, I can't really make the transition into the usual fluff of this blog, so I'll say it again: read this book.

*I'm not mentioning the title/author of the book directly just in case someone from my staff does a blog search for it. But click the link and you'll find out your reading assignment kids. Or go look at my sidebar for book #26 that I read during 2010.

8 comments:

Alex said...

For some reason, the link doesn't work, but I think I know the story you mention. I'm jealous you get to listen to them speak this week!

It reminds me of the camp in New England that brings kids from both sides of the conflict together each summer in the hopes that they'll forge friendships that can transcend the hate and build lifelong - if not longer for their society - bridges to peace.

Enjoy!

Christielli said...

Alex - thanks for the link tip. Strangely, the link works on my computer, but not on my iPhone, so I've provided another. Computers are weird.

Yah, his daughters attended a camp similar to the one you describe. He also worked in Israel and made connections with many of the people there. Such an amazing story!

Jocelyn said...

Thanks for the link! Added it to my list. I'm avoiding reading your post so that I can read the book- will let you know when i do!

Jabba said...

Wow, that sounds like a really powerful book. It will be amazing to see him in person after you've read what he has been though. What a fantastic opportunity!

Princess Pessimism said...

that should be an amazing day listening to him talk.

Unknown said...

I've read extracts and it was amazing. I think I need to read the same book. A friend recently tired to go there as for him it's more about the people than the politics too. I love that.

I want to read this. Thanks for reminding me. I hope meeting him proves similarly inspiring.

galapogos said...

Sounds great, I will have to look into the book. Thanks!

rawbean said...

Can't wait to hear about how it goes hearing him speak. Amazing how some people can overcome such terrible things and not be bitter about it.