Tuesday, January 11, 2011

New Year's Resolution Motivation

If there is one thing I'm good at, especially at work, it's making friends.

One of my newer friends is the music teacher who is "new" to our school (relative to myself who is becoming a fixture like the cinderblocks, or the always-broken heating system). She's super cool and into the environment, and she is now my friend for life because I gave her my secret library key at Christmastime. Her room is across from the library, and she needs access to the library to use the phone. I used to teach in the library, and never gave back my key because keys are power. Anyway, she mentioned how she'd sometimes come into work on weekends and hated that she had to walk across the school to access a phone. Upon hearing this, I felt guilty and full of Christmas spirit, so I gave her my key.

That's how you make a friend for life.

Anyway, you might be wondering what this preamble has to do with my new year's resolutions, which all revolve around being more healthy and perhaps being able to fit into an old pair of jeans that I really like.

Today, my friend for life passed me in the stairway and said "Hey - I was cleaning out my closet and came across my Periodic Table of the Elements skirt and thought of you. Would you like it? I rarely wear it and I knew you'd love it." I once saw her wear this skirt and I, of course, freaked the hell out.

"Yes!" I exclaimed right away. "Oh, but it probably won't fit me..." I added sheepishly. She's thinner than me, but taller, so maybe it's just an illusion. Yah, that's it.

"Let's see! I'll bring it in for you to try on one day!"

All I could think of as I continued on my way is that I want to wear that skirt. It's got the freaking Periodic Table of the Elements on it. That's my favourite table right there!

Anyway, I think with a lot of exercise, and perhaps a talented seamstress, I could wear that skirt. It's a good motivation, no?

I made it to the gym tonight and burned many calories as I envisioned myself in that skirt. Great motivation, eh? It's sort of like when my old roommate lost weight to fit into the wedding dress of her dreams.... but the more eccentric and nerdy version.

p.s. Fact for Vancouverites who read this blog - she got the skirt in Vancouver! Cool!

10 comments:

AlieMalie said...

sounds awesome! we'll totally need a photo!

Miss Ash said...

I was just going to say I need to see a picture of this skirt!!

The Grunt said...

That sounds like a cool skirt. Brainy guys will be checking you out for sure...glavin!

jason said...

That has to be one of the coolest pieces of clothing I've heard about.

I suppose this now brings up the question as to your favorite element, or group? Are you a stealer (of electrons)? Or do you a give and share? Maybe you're a stable noble gas instead? Though I suppose if you're good at making friends... you might just be a halogen or alkali metal.

rawbean said...

Yes we are going to need to see a picture of this skirt! Can't believe it came from Vancouver.....Smoking Lily by any chance? Ask!

Anonymous said...

If it wasn't for a periodic table t-shirt, David Duchovny wouldn't have been able to save the world.

Unknown said...

That skirt sounds awesome and like great motivation - hope you can keep it up!

Jabba said...

I heard about this website for New Year's resolutions where you enter your information (what you want to do: lose weight, exercise more, quit smoking....etc.) then you track your progress.

But the coolest thing was that you also give them your credit card number. If you don't keep up, they will charge your credit card for a pre-authorized amount! OR you could get them to donate to a charity or cause you DON'T support - the NRA for example?

I thought it was genius.

I can't remember the name of the website!

Claire said...

Picture needed, stat! I bet you will look supercute!

Cxx

yrautca said...

Hilarious post! Yes you are a geek. I see it now.