Hmmm, I do believe there's a line that I often tell my students: "You must review your notes every night. If you review concepts within twenty-four hours, you will retain more information!"
Or the old: "Homework isn't there to torture you! You can't learn by doing nothing! Would you just go and play a basketball game without doing anything? Of course not!!! You'd practice!!! That's what homework is! Practice for your brain!"
Anyway, I was feeling a little bit sheepish and hypocritical as I was working on my Spanish homework, aka practice for my brain, since I wasn't following most of my own advice. I should have been reviewing my notes every day!!!
However, will there even be a Spanish class tomorrow? Environment Canada is calling for an epic snowstorm tomorrow, and that's all anyone here is talking about. The kids are excited for it, the teachers are hoping for it, and it was the only topic of conversation tonight at my dentist's office. I was told not to except my cursory "how are you feeling after your filling?" call until Thursday because of the storm.
I think I'd like a snow day, but I'd be really sad to miss Spanish. I'll forget even more! Plus, will I get reimbursed for a lesson? One lesson works out to a chunk of change...
If I get to stay home, I'll be working. I still have four sets of term marking from last semester haunting me and marks are due on Friday. I am totally procrastinating on this. I can hear my own teacher voice calling me out with disgust at my poor work ethic, but meh, why work hard today when I can push myself tomorrow to meet Friday's deadline?
Anyway, happy potential snow day to you all. I'll keep you updated.
p.s. In my career as a teacher, I've never had a snow day. We had 'em all the time in St. Ratford, since that place gets dumped on. When I worked in northwestern Ontario, my classroom was always open despite any weather because I just had to walk there. The usual two or three dedicated kids would come no matter what. If no one showed, I'd go home.
Once since I've been working in Toronto has school been canceled. There was a power outage in the area of my school. It was awesome.
Of course, there was the time that Toronto called in the army because of a big snowstorm. That was back in my first year of university. That's when young Christielli and young Becca T probably used the extra time to study because they were both terrified of failing first year. We were such nerds back then.
UPDATE: It's a snow day. Yay!!!! I can't wait to go back to bed! U of T hasn't cancelled anything yet, so I might still have Spanish. We'll see!
5 comments:
Thats the one thing I miss about teaching - is all the grading and marking. It didnt matter WHAT i was doing in a given night. If there was an assignment, or test, it would always be graded the the same day it was written and handed back the very next day. I love the grading peice - i find that fancy stickers helped.
Hurray for snow days!!! I rented two movies in anticipation and plan to lay around in my jammies drinking tea!
Yay for your snow day!!! I wish snow days applied to all of us. Since I've lived in BC there was ONE time when I couldn't come into the office - because of a gas leak. I can't image what would make my company shut down. Ebola? Lava? Perhaps.
Snow days only really affected me in grade school when I rode the yellow school bus. Once high school came around, I walked to school everyday. I'd get to school and be the only student there, so I turned around and left.
Sure, in grade 12 when I moved further away but still walked; turning around right after a 45-60 minute walk in the snow and having to do it again was kind of annoying.
Getting some interesting insight into the mind of a teacher and thinking about my own teachers. I still hate homework.
Post a Comment