Saturday, February 26, 2011

You'll be a bright light coming out of the dark.

I've been up for about an hour from a delicious eleven-hour sleep which I needed oh-so-badly. The latter part of last week was exhausting. Wednesday night was pretty busy since I went shopping after work, then went to Spanish, then stayed up late doing laundry/dishes/etc. Thursday's work day was long since we had a staff meeting (yuck) after school. Then, I came home and got ready for the Hey Rosetta! show.

We had plans to go out for dinner at a fave place of mine: The Victory Cafe. However, it seems that as of late, that whenever I try to go there, it's either closed or too full. This time, it was the latter, so we spent a good half-hour traipsing up and down Bloor Street trying to find a place to eat. Places were either completely full, or pretty much empty. Never trust an empty restaurant, right? We ended up picking a place next door to the Vic which was pretty nice. I had the strange pairing of vegan lentil soup with a BLT. Both were delicious.

We got to Lee's Palace after the openers had played. It's hard to do a full stand-up bar show on a school night. Hey Rosetta! played an awesome high energy set. I love their new album "Seeds" and they played a number of songs from that, but also did a great job of including all of my favourites from their earlier albums. Hey Rosetta! are seven-piece band from Newfoundland: they usually have two violinists playing at all times and often a cello too. This was maybe my third time seeing them, but the first time seeing them where they were the headliners. It was such a great show and I'm sure I'll try to see them every time they come to town.

Another funny thing about this show was that I ended up with two sets of tickets for it. We had originally bought tickets for the Wed. night show since the Thurs. night show was sold out. But then my friend Paul messaged me saying he had tickets for the Thurs. show that he couldn't used: could I or a friend of mine use them? I decided to keep the Thursday night tickets for me, and then gave my Wed. night tickets to my friends Mathew and Jane. Based on their Wed. night reviews, I knew that the show would be amazing and it was!

After getting home late from HR! I think I got maybe 4 hours sleep. I had to be at work pretty early to set up a massive lab for my bio class. Poor planning on my part. The lab went really well though, and the rest of the day was good. After school, I went to the gym with my work spouse/gym buddy then rushed home to get ready to meet up with an old friend from uni for dessert. He wasn't able to make my bday dinner so offered to take me out for dessert this weekend. It was fun, and I had some really good red velvet cake which my trip to the gym cancelled out, I'm sure.

Anyway, I was beat when I got home last night, hence the massive eleven-hour sleep.

Today, I don't have much planned and I love it. There's a new book that is Heather's Pick at Indigo. It's called "The Paris Wife" and it's on-sale for just this weekend. I have gift cards left over from Chirstmas and my bday, so I'm going to pick it up and spend my day reading it. I am reading another book on my Kindle right now, and should really finish it since I have *four* unfinished books now on the go, but this new book looks good and well, I can read my Kindle more easily on the plane to Barcelona, right?

I also need to do some cleaning and I think I'm going to phone a long-lost friend tonight and catch up. That will be fun. I phone friends way too infrequently.

Tomorrow is back to the gym, then I have a two year old's birthday party. I bought her an awesome book on cats, ha-ha. Then it's Oscar night, so I'll sit on my couch and watch that and do some school work at the same time. And maybe work on my Spanish homework too.

So I'd better enjoy my lazy Saturday, 'cuz it will be my one day to live at a slow place.

And it's snowing rather nicely too. I'm sick of the snow, but it's still kind of pretty.

p.s. Coutdown to Europe = less that two weeks! Warning to Claire: I've been thinking about UK shopping... I want to go to Monsoon again!

7 comments:

rawbean said...

Wow what a busy busy week! No wonder you were so tired last night.

I crashed hard too after a long week of work and outings.

There is a sprinkle of snow here right now if it makes you feel any better.

Alex said...

I'll deny I ever said this and claim this is an imposter, but I'm sick of the snow, too.

I'm excited for your trip to Europe and can't wait to see photos and hear about it!!!

Miss Ash said...

I love the lunch combo, that's funny! I'll have to check that place out one day I know you've told me about it before, fingers crossed it won't be too busy!

And sheesh, get some sleep! I gotta say the good thing about my job is I can go in tired. Obviously it wouldn't be good if I had to deal with a crisis or something big happended but I don't have to stand infront of a class full of teens which is good! I'd be yawning the whole time and things would be exploding! "you mean you can't mix gas with..."

Princess Pessimism said...

i LOVE Lee's Palace for shows! One of the best venue's in the city!

Claire said...

I am so with you on the overloaded Kindle!

Also - shop on, baby. Shop. On.

Cxx

Jabba said...

We slept until 1:00 today - yesterday I didn't get out of bed until around noon. Super lazy weekend! Then again - my weeks aren't nearly as full of yours. Glad you caught up on sleep!!

Two weeks to go!! Woo hoo! I can't wait to see your pictures and hear all about your trip!

s said...

watching the oscars and reading blogs/blogging. I hope you are enjoying your sunday night.