Wednesday, March 02, 2011

But if the blood pumping through my veins could freeze like a river in Toronto then I'd be pleased.

Tengo sueño. (I am sleepy.) Tonight was my second-to-last Spanish class.

I handed in my written assignment today. I worked pretty hard on it on Monday night. It took me an hour-and-a-half to write about a page of dialogue. I had two Spanish-speaking boys from my grade ten class look it over for me. They were impressed. One of them pointed to the word antipática (mean) and said "Miss, do you actually know what that word means?"

Oh no, I thought, did I mistakenly put something really offensive in my dialogue? Good thing I got it checked over... "It means mean, right?"

"Yah, you're right," the kid replied. "I just wondered because, you know, it's a big word."

I could have been offended, but then the kids were able to smooth it over by telling me that they were quite impressed with my Spanish skills and then saying "awww Miss, you told a little story here!" Basically, my dialogue was about Pedro, a university student, who suavely got a bonita chica to help him study for biology. The boys liked it and laughed at Pedro's antics.

Next week I'll find out if my Spanish teacher liked it too.

Spanish class tonight was a bit of a whirlwind. My brain wasn't working so well. We learned the Spanish words for this, these, that, and those which is way trickier than it sounds. We learned the numbers up to one thousand too. If I need to do some hard-core counting in Barcelona, I will be prepared! This week, I have one more written assignment to do, and that's it for the course. Overall, I've enjoyed the experience, but I've learned it's hard to juggle a course that involves any sort of outside work/studying in between classes. ¡Soy occupada! (I'm busy!)

Anyway, I have been feeling rather overwhelmed lately, especially since my big trip is coming up soon. This weekend I have to drive Miss Rilo Kitty to St. Ratford and I have a tonne of other things to do. I can't wait to just be away. I am really feeling the need for a break.

Now it's time for a musical aside. I've been listening the album "My Maudlin Career" by the Glaswegian band Camera Obscura a lot. This morning while on the subway I did a double-take on one of their lyrics: is that a Scottish band mentioning Toronto in a song? It was! I expect such things of Canadian bands, but it's pretty cool when a band from somewhere else mentions your city.

Here's the song below. Warning: it's a sad song about heartbreak, but it's really pretty and twangy. Luckily, I'm in a pretty good place in life, so I can listen to this song without getting overly emo. There have been times in my life where this song would have made me immensely sad, but luckily, I'm not there.


Oh! I must thank you all so much for the questions on my previous post! I will endeavour to answer them ASAP, but when my brain is not fried from Spanish class.

Hasta luego!

4 comments:

Claire said...

I keep meaning to take a language course, but I know I'd struggle to fit it in around school. Maybe a summer course would work...

You have mad Spanish skillz!

Cxx

Jabba said...

I'm so glad you enjoyed Spanish - hilarious that you're getting the kids to help you, what a great resource!
We haven't been practicing Spanish, we've moved on to Italian but we aren't taking lessons. It's too expensive!!
I started another course last night...and this one might kill me. I'll blog about it soon.

Princess Pessimism said...

congrats on almost being done your course! Muay bien! (is that spelled right?? LOL)

I feel like everyones being overwhelmed lately - so i feel your pain!

And such a great idea to have your kids edit your assignment - so resourceful!

Miss Ash said...

Good lord, counting up to a thousand in one class...that seems like a lot!

I knew I'd love that song from the artwork...does that sound odd?!? I really liked the picture and I love that song! Thanks for sharing it! I'm going to download it!