Here's a post about me being who I am. Which is a nerdy science teacher who tries her hardest to make stuff funny.
I'm teaching one of my classes a unit on optics. You know, light, mirrors, refraction, lenses, etc. It's so not as fun a chemistry because we can't light anything on fire (well, I guess I could try it with a magnifying glass... hmmm....) and we can't dissect anything (well, actually we could cut open a cow's eye if there are any kicking around... hmmm....). However, I can try to pepper in some lame jokes during my lessons to liven things up.
Today we were talking about all types of mirrors. When describing the properties of an image formed by a mirror, we science teachers tell students to remember the acronym SALT which stands for size, attitude, location, and type.
Here is how I always explain SALT in my most deadpan and driest of voices.
"S stands for size. Is the image larger, smaller, or the same size as the object? A stands for attitude. Is the image ruder than the object, or is it more polite? L stands for location..." And on I go.
Now, today's class was absolutely silent when I made my little speech. I turn around and I say "Seriously?" and I look at them. They all sort of look at each other and start to laugh. "Miss, you weren't serious about attitude**, right? Right? What if we mess up on the quiz and get that part wrong?"
"Then I know you weren't really paying attention the whole class."
"Oh... well will you at least write LOL on the quiz?"
"Sure. However, did you like my delivery? I tried so hard not to laugh. I think you guys totally fell for it because you were so quiet!"
"No, no, we didn't. We just wanted to make you happy!"
Anyway, my next lame joke was when I was explain the meaning of the word converge, which is used in reference to light rays that meet up in one spot.
"So now you guys can impress your friends with your new vocabulary. You can say to them 'hey, want converge at the mall after school?' "
Of, course I got a chorus of "Oh Miss, that means our friends would get all confused and wouldn't know what to do! And we'd sound like giant nerds. That would be a horrible thing to say."
"I know it would be. However, my lame explanation will help you remember the meaning. That's why I say these things, you know."
Anyway, that's how I amuse myself during a dry lesson on mirrors. The funniest thing was I told my work spouse this story after school, and she was like "I so use the same joke about attitude! It's so fun. I like to say some images are mean, and some are nice!" And no, we had never converged previously about this joke. It was an example of independent discovery, just like Darwin and Wallace and the theory of evolution due to natural selection.
So yeah, lame professional science nerds. We are who we are.
**In case you were wondering, attitude is whether the image is upright or inverted.
10 comments:
My fav songs right now (and you probably have them on your iPod already) are Rolling in the Deep by Adele, and pretty much anything that Pink has been singing lately. I showed this music video to my class today and I'm really liking the music in it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=qybUFnY7Y8w
Christa
My playlist is also ridiculous, it's those damn pop songs that get me running. There's this remix by Madonna, Mariah and Janet, I also like the Tings Tings "That's not my name and Shut up and let me go" to run to, orrrr PWEI "Everythings Cool", I also love "99 Problems" by Jay Z and Linkin Park....I will admit I have a lot of Rihanna, Brittney, Justin on there.....for running I swear!!! Orrr KMFDM "Light"! I should just make you a CD!
I love your jokes!
My guilty music pleasures at the gym are Katy Perry's Firework and a bunch of Lady Gaga. Pretty much any Lady Gaga is good for a workout.
Hey, I laughed at your joke.
I like your jokes. And I am currenlty loving a remix of a slow adele song that can be listened to here. It is seriously cheesy and that is why I love it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4_A8ZIIelk
Awhh I like your jokes too - I think they were funny. And thanks for the explanation on the real meaning of attitude! I was wondering.
Oh no! I'm having flashbacks of my grade 10 science class now. Concave and convex mirrors. AAAAHHHH!
That stuff wasn't boring. It was just painfully difficult.
Bwahahaha! This post is golden!
I will make you a mix. Soon.
Cxx
Does the double slit experiment fit in, or too advanced? I always liked that one.
Call me a nerd, I would have laughed at the jokes too.
Yeah!!! The double slit experiment!!!! That's the BEST experiment.
Actually I remember enjoying mirrors in physics class....everything seemed to make sense to me.
Nerdy jokes are good and guess what? I bet the kids will all totally remember attitude on the test now.
Post a Comment