The other irony of this suckage of Halloween is that in my role as a student council co-moderator, I help organize my school's Halloween activities, so people associate me with Halloween, and I feel kind of weird never pulling off an amazing costume.
Well, this year I finally pulled it all together.
As you guys all know, some of my favourite things in the world include science, cats, and jokes. This summer I was introduced to an internet meme called Chemistry Cat, and unsurprisingly, I really like it. Here's an example:
I have chemistry cat jokes posted all around my classroom, on powerpoints, on assignments, and on tests. Chemistry Cat has become part of my classroom's culture. This fall, I entertained the thought of being chemistry cat for Halloween.
Last Friday (last minute of course) I headed to Wal-Mart and picked up my necessary supplies: a cheap white hoodie and mittens, red ribbon, sewing supplies, and white face makeup. I couldn't find white fur in their fabric department and really didn't want to/especially have time to go to a fabric store. Luckily, I saw some fuzzy coloured pillows in their home decor department. I wandered over hoping they'd have one in white. They didn't, but I found a white fur rug. Perfect.
The only thing I was missing was glasses. I looked all over the mall but no luck. However, there's a dollar store in my neighbourhood that advertising a good assortment of Halloween supplies. I found $1.99 Nerd Specs. Perfect.
I started assembling the costume on Monday night. After 2.5 hours I was covered in fur, but I managed to attach fur to the hood of my hoodie, make ears using an old headband, and craft my bowtie. On Tuesday night, I made my paws and my tail.
Tuesday after school I stayed and decorated my classroom as close as possible to the backdrop in Chemistry Cat's cartoon. I was disappointed that the chemical formulas made no sense, but copied them anyway. I got all of the glassware I needed to mimic Chemistry Cat's desk and used food colouring to make my solutions. I noticed that Chemistry Cat has some mice on his desk so I borrowed some of Rilo's from home.
This morning, I got to school early, got into costume and made it into my classroom without any of my students seeing me. I covered the windows on the doors so they couldn't peek in. Normally, I have my door open as soon as I get there, but I left it closed. They knocked to get it, and I yelled "go away!" and had my student teacher let them in at the last minute so they could walk in and see this:
I think my project worked out pretty well, huh? They LOVED it. I had my picture taken about a million times today, even by random kids who didn't know me. It was so much fun.
Earlier in the week, when we were planning to decorate our homeroom pumpkin, I asked my class what they wanted to do, and they said "Chemistry Cat!" not knowing at all that was what I was going to be. Little did they know that I'd bring in my leftover supplies.
I finally did not fail at Halloween. Good job me. It was nerdy, but nerdy awesome. :)

7 comments:
I've never heard of Chemistry Cat but by the looks of the photo you did an amazing job!!! Woo hoo!!
Great job! Also, that potassium joke made me laugh. Sodium works for the negative response too!
Au yea, you struck gold this year, Christielli! You're clearly in your element!
Oh my gawd!
Awesome!
Smiley face stickers to infinity.
Great work there.
Genius. Simply genius.
Kudos, sweet girl!
Nice! Most of my teachers were lame and did nothing like this.
I love this and showed it to M and he agreed it was genius. So there you go!
Post a Comment