Thursday, April 25, 2013

You can call me I won't let you down.

One thing I really like about my job is that little things I do can make a big difference.

A student of mine was involved in a program that allows high school students to practice with a professional rock band.  Each school involved in the program is allowed to choose one student to play with the band at a big show in an actual concert venue.

She invited me to see her play, and last night I went to the show.  I went with my friend (the music teacher).   We chilled upstairs for most of the show, watched her play, congratulated her and then took off.

However, it made such a big difference to her that we came.  She thanked me for coming today, and this evening was parent-teacher interviews.  I don't teach her this semester, but her parents sought me out to thank me for coming out because it meant a lot to their daughter.

To me, it was such a little thing to do, but it reminds me of how the little things that I do for my students really do make a big difference, whether it is giving them a compliment, putting a sticker on a test, or writing them a reference letter.  I'm so thankful to be able to do these things.

4 comments:

Claire said...

Love these moments too. You're such a great teacher, sweetie. Your kids are lucky to have you!

Jabba said...

I love this - sometimes when I'm obliged to do something for someone butI don't feel like it, I'm going to think of this post. I bet you make a difference to someone every day give your job. What a great feeling!

Miss Ash said...

It's interesting how the smallest things to some people mean a lot to others! You made her feel special and she will remember that!

Unknown said...

I love that you did that. And I love when students say thank you. It is something that really makes my day. x