Saturday, June 01, 2013

So meet me by the river, let's go for a ride.

I went almost two months without going to a concert. For most people, that's probably normal.  Or, it's even a short time in between shows. For me, that's a dry spell.

I didn't realize how much I missed a good show until last night.  I made a last minute decision to go see Young Galaxy at Lee's Palace.  They're not even a band that I'm overly familiar with, but I got a chance to listen to their excellent new album "Ultramarine" a few times before the show.

They blew me away in concert.  Man, what a great find.

And, as soon as they were playing their first song, I felt a dormant part of me wake up.  I think the time in between shows for me has been a little bit rough: I've been really busy with work, and I've also been feeling a little bit off as a result a negative even at the beginning of April.

However, watching a band made me feel like myself.  It was like "yeah, stuff will be OK as long as there's live music and beer".  It's so weird how live music brings me back in touch with me, but it does like nothing else. 

June's going to be super awesome: my dream concert is a week today.  Field Trip is Arts & Crafts Records 10th anniversary show and Hayden, Dan Mangan, Stars, Broken Social Scene, and Feist will all be there.  Broken Social Scene announced today that they are playing the album "You Forgot It In People" from front-to-back for this show.  I am so excited.

I also have the Postal Service coming up, and I might check out some stuff for NXNE too.  Other than music, I have some end-of-school-year parties coming up, and I just have a feeling that June is going to be a great month.

My favourite song from Young Galaxy's new album is "New Summer" and I think it sums up how I'm feeling going into that season.

4 comments:

Miss Ash said...

I love when a show gives me goosebumps!

Jabba said...

Huh! I looked at that album the other night and glossed over it. I'm going to look again!!!
I know what you mean about live music allowing you to get in touch with yourself - I totally feel that too. Especially smaller shows!

Claire said...

Summer of Awesome 2: Electric Bugaloo!

Unknown said...

Going to see live music can fix me after a bad day/week/month and I AM SO JEALOUS of you going to Field Day. I foolishly follow the Filed Day twitter and the day just seems to be getting better and better and better. It will be so good :)