Sunday, June 23, 2013

You don't think before you jump.

The heat arrived this weekend.  It finally feels like June... not that I'm complaining.  I loved the cool summer days that preceded this weekend.  But now it's one of those evenings where it feels hot, and I don't even feel like even thinking about sleeping so I'm watching The National videos on YouTube while drinking some red wine.

Which is probably not the best thing to do as songs by The National are pretty wonderfully mopey.

I need their new album.  I love the song "This Is the Last Time" because I can really relate to it.  I wish I'd come across it in February, I really do.   (Well, it didn't exist in February either but I wish it did.)

This Tiny Desk Concert on NPR is great.



Weekend was pretty great.  Nice day on Friday at Centre Island with student council.  Birthday party for my friend Mathew on Friday night.  I finished up my marking and report cards on Saturday.  Today I went to the spa and had dinner with a pal.

But still, the hot weather brings a weird sort of sadness with it.  I always get a little bit nervous before summer starts.  I need the rest, but all of the undefined time seems overwhelming.  Too much time that I could spend lost in my thoughts, wrapped up in my introversion letting myself be haunted by ghosts of summers past.  I'm going to do the best to schedule myself silly, buy a Metropass, and get out of my neighbourhood during the month of July.

2 comments:

Jabba said...

Oh maaaan! I'm so jealous of two things in this post:
1. Your weather. We just put in a lovely weekend just south of the border but damnit!! Jackets, sweaters, I want some heat and some sun!
2. Your time off. Don't feel overwhelmed. Embrace it! So much time to read and sit in coffee shops and go on trips and NOT be on a schedule, oh so jealous.

Unknown said...

I hope you can enjoy some days where the thoughts unspool. I like those days more now that I can see that the thoughts are just thoughts and kind of let them wash over me. Not all days they do that but when they do it feels pretty cool to just be still and feel the stillness and calm that comes from it.