Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Adorable

It's exam week.  First semester is on its last legs (which means I'm almost 50% to summer).  This also means that I have to say goodbye to my classes of the past five months, which is always a little bit sad to me.  I have a speech that I give on the last day, about how I've truly enjoyed teaching each and every one of them, and how I will miss them. (And it's always true, even though it sounds cheesy.)

Today my grade tens wrote their exams.  As a kid hands in their exam, I like to shake his or her hand, and congratulate them on finishing their exam.  When it comes to quizzes, tests, and exams, I'm known for my thoroughness, and finishing my exam is an accomplishment.  The first couple of kids who hand in their exam and get a handshake look at me like I'm a weirdo, but then they all warm up and get into the congratulatory handshake.

As I shook one student's hand, he paused and then said to me "Miss, thank you for being my science teacher for the past two years."  (He had me in grade 9.)  My heart melted.  Maybe you had to be there, but it was one of the most earnest, heartfelt thank yous that I've gotten, and it really made my day.  I think it was especially meaningful because he was a quiet kid, and he said it in front of the rest of the class, and it was just very touching.

And it totally reminded me why I love my job.

3 comments:

Jabba said...

That IS really sweet. Must be amazing to be reminded like that of why you do what you do!
Good to hear you're thorough!

jason said...

=)!

Unknown said...

This is brilliant. :)