Today I made a big decision/purchase.
I decided that I am indeed going to do some solo traveling in Europe before Claire's August wedding in London, and I'm going to opt for the more ambitious itinerary, as opposed to only a city or two.
Today I bought a flight from Toronto to Prague, with a return flight from London to Toronto.
I've already more or less worked out my train itinerary too. I'm going spend a few days in Prague, then take the train to Vienna, and stay there for a couple days. After that, it'll be a quick trip to Munich, where I'll have a full day in that city. Germany isn't high on my list of places to go, but it's in the way of the cities I really wanted to visit (Prague & Vienna) and the city I want to depart to London from (Brussels). With my day in Munich, at least I'll be able to say I've been to Germany properly. Who knows, maybe I'll love it and want to go back?
Then, I'll have a long train ride from Munich to Brussels. After that, a couple of days in Brussels, and then I'll be on the Eurostar to London, where I'll arrive just in time for the wedding rehearsal. I've even booked a few days in London after the wedding, to chill until I fly home. (Hey, when you get free lodging because you're a trans-Atlantic guest, you might as well take advantage of it.)
I am super excited for this trip. I'm cool with traveling solo. I've traveled solo a little bit in my life, but not for a long period. In fact, most of my solo traveling involves me going to places to visit friends, so that doesn't count. I'm a pretty hard core traveler in that I like to pack my days with lots of fun stuff (anyone who's been on a trip with me will attest to this), so I will probably just holiday hard during the day, and get a good night's sleep as opposed to going out in the evening.
I know that some of my visits to these cities will leave me wanting more, but that will come in handy if a potential European 2015 travel buddy (you know who you are) wants to visit any of the destinations that I am hitting this year.
Now, to just make it through the last few weeks of the school year, and the stacks of marking and exam-writing that I still have.
2 comments:
Wow, right on!! I'm so envious, I love the idea of the long train ride too. Lots of time to read and look out the window....so nice. Can't wait to hear all about it!
It is going to be incredible.
Post a Comment