As you know, I'm a big fan of the Simpsons. Earlier in the year, I found out that Lego was making a super-awesome looking set of Simpsons Minifigures and I decided that I would get them as soon as I could. (Check out a gallery of them here.)
I have two friends at work both named Alan who are super into Lego (but not so much the Simpsons). I asked them if they would help me get the complete set. For those of you who don't know (aka adults), Lego Minifigures come in opaque packages, and you don't know what you're getting. However, you can use pictures of the minifigures to help you feel through the bags to figure out which one you have. For example, if your minifigure comes with a skateboard, if you feel wheels in the package, you know what you've got. The Alans are pros at feeling out these things.
My friend Mathew, who is super into the Simpsons, but not so much into Lego, also wanted in on a complete set. The initial plan was for all of us to go together and (along with my friend Nadine, who loves the Simpsons) to feel out sets, but they released the figures right on May 1st, and Alan O. went right away to get his (but he was missing Wiggum).
On Friday, I told Mathew that the minifigs had been released. We had plans to go for sushi and then watch Dateline (we love creepy Keith Morrison) that evening, but we scratched it to head to the Lego Store at Yorkdale. (I didn't think we'd be able to go with the Alans as originally planned since one already went, and the other is busy with school stuff.)
When we got there, there was a couple already feeling out the minifigs. We jumped in there to try out our hand at it. One of the Lego Store employees was helping out too. It became apparent that the dude was feeling out the minifigs for his girlfriend, and wasn't into the Simpsons himself. He didn't even know the names of the characters! However, he helped us out because he was very good at it. They were looking for a Nelson, and when we came across a Nelson, we handed it to them. Once they got the complete set, the girlfriend went to go shopping, but Calvin (the dude) opted to stay and help us out some more. By the end of night one, we almost had three complete sets: one for me, one for Mathew, and one for our friend Vic, who was out at a bachelor party like a grown-up instead of feeling out Lego. We were missing three Lisas (we forgot about her), two Milhouses, one Grandpa, one Nelson, and one Wiggum. We also found Alan O. his Wiggum, and ended up with an extra Bart.
On the way home, we planned to be up and at them early the next day to hit up the Lego Store at Fairview Mall. Mathew had called them on Friday, and they said they were out, but would be opening a new shipment on Saturday morning. We also critiqued the figures: "Marge should be reading Sponge & Vacuum magazine, not Donut Fancy," and "Why doesn't Milhouse come with a Radioactive Man comic?" were some of our complaints. Then we looked at each other and realized that in this moment, we were Comic Book Guy.
Mathew picked me up on Saturday morning, and we hit the Lego Store even before getting coffee. But blast! Even though it was barely 10:30 am, they were out! We called the Lego Store and Sherway Gardens, and they had lots. That mall was 34 km away from where we were. But, when you're on a mission, you are on a mission. After we got coffee, off we went.
As soon as we got to Sherway Gardens, we had become Calvin. We were the experts at feeling them out. One lady was looking for Chief Wiggum for her husband. We found it for her quickly. We felt out the rest all of the minifigs quickly. We also helped out an older couple who were hardcore Lego fans build their set. I ended up picking up some random Lego things for my friend Fea, who is planning a Lego-themed birthday party for her daughter.
I'm surprised that Visa didn't call me to inform me that a 10-year old had stolen my card as I racked up about 8 transactions at the Lego Store.
I think getting all of the Simpsons minifigs was almost as tiring as my half marathon.
Here's a picture of Rilo with them, because whenever I take a picture of something, she has to get in it. I think she's rolling her eyes at me. Then she tried to chew Milhouse.
My favourite of the set is Grampa. His "Old Man Yells At Cloud" newspaper makes me laugh so hard. And yes, it's an accurate reference to an episode.
On Sunday, my pals the Alans came over to watch the Simpsons Lego episode. They had gone to Sherway to get sets for Alan K. as well as Nadine. So yay! Everyone got their sets. The episode itself was rather good. I haven't watched a new episode in forever. I just love the old ones. After the new one, I made them watch Rosebud, so they could understand the significance of Maggie's teddy bear, Bobo.
And that's the saga of my set of Simpsons Minifigs. I promise my next post will be at least 50% less geeky, I hope.


3 comments:
I love that
a. you got the whole set
b. you and others were so kind to help others get the sets too
c. that you wrote a post about this
So yes, I am a big fan of this post and the Simpsons Lego mini figs
this is just plain awesome!
What dedication!! Are some of them more rare to find or are they all equal? I love those blind boxes.
Rilo, she's just like Ziggy used to be - always photo bombing.
Post a Comment