I've started teaching a course that I've never taught at all, save for dabbling in a few units during my practice teaching in 2003. That was a long time ago, I tell you.
I've taught the same set of nine or so courses for about ten years now. The science curriculum has gone through an overhaul in that time with units flipping around and the addition of new topics I personally knew very little about (light and optics anyone?). I always change my styles and my methods, and I love adding new activities and keeping my courses current. However, I've felt quite comfy for the longest time, and enjoy knowing my shit.
But this new course: the most advanced high school biology one can teach. Should really be no problem for me: I have a specialist degree in biology, and I graduated with some awards on top of it. I know, okay, I knew, my shit.
But, argh, time. I wish the fates would have brought me this course at the beginning of my career. It would have been easier back then, I think. My skillset has changed in a decade. Bring me students who are unmotivated, and/or struggle with reading, writing, behaviour, are new to Canada, etc. and I'm rather good at getting them to learn, and hopefully like science. Those skills took a long time to build, but aren't so useful at the moment.
Now I feel that it's me versus the content. I have get back with biochemistry, biochemical pathways, metabolic processes, DNA replication, protein synthesis, homeostasis, and population dynamics. I find I have to take notes before I teach, and I have to look at these notes while I teach, which I have not done in years. As I go through my lesson, I have to predict the times at which my students will ask "why?" and make sure I know the answer.
It's a good challenge, and my brain is happy with the challenge, and I do feel like I'm tapping into a dormant part of myself. Dammit, I think I missed some of these molecules, proteins, and enzymes that I was oh-so-familiar with. I've already found a great series of videos on YouTube to enhance my lessons with, and booked a cool trip for my class where they'll get to DNA fingerprinting using PCR methodology.
But dammit, I do feel a little nervous when I'm up there, which I haven't felt in years! It's weird. I feel like a fraud with an expired degree but I'm doing my best to renew it, but it's keeping me on my toes. A decade is a long time.
3 comments:
A decade is a long time but it sounds like you are going to nail this. I am super duper impressed with it all to be honest - I like a challenge though ;)
I loved light and optics! Interference patterns, giddyup!
Getting the chance to re-learn stuff really helps cement the 'old' learning in my experience. Plus, stuff starts to come back faster once you're into it. Sounds like a great new turn.
PCR tools have evolved a ton even from when I was last in school. So much technology these days. Maybe one day all the DNA analysis on TV shows will really only take the hour in the lab that it seems to take them. =)
I'm excited for you though, and I'm sure you'll do a great job with your students.
Post a Comment