Monday, February 01, 2016

Woo-hoo!

It's a new semester and I'm really happy that my classroom is free during my prep period.  It means that I can spread out/set-up in here without bothering anyone and relax.  (I have prep period first, and I'm ready to go, hence I'm blogging.)

I had a pretty chill weekend.  I watched Straight Outta Compton which was OK.  It was revisionist history, from everything I've read about N.W.A., but I still found it interesting overall.  I tend to really enjoy music biopics.  It takes me back to the music appreciation course I took for fun in university.  (Fun and credit, mind you.)

I went to the Raptors game on Saturday night and it turned out to be one of those exceptional evenings that you could not predict its awesomeness.  My friend Elaine and I bought these tickets waaaaay back in the summer, and I tell you, we couldn't have chosen a better night!

My first small happy moment was ordering a Coke Zero (although I've mostly given that carcinogenic brew up) in a Raptors souvenir cup.  I have one of these cups from my first ever Raptors game, and I use it all of the time, so I figured it was time for an upgrade.  The first snack booth was out of them and only had Leafs cups left, but after hunting around we found one.  Woo-hoo!

We had nosebleed seats which I'm accustomed to from my Jays games, but basketball is definitely more pricey.  Anyhow, I was checking out who was sitting courtside, and from up where I was sitting one dude (shaved head, beard, work boots) looked like Drake and I said to my friend Elaine "hey!  I think that Drake's here!" and she said no, it wasn't Drake.  Then I texted my friend Elisa, who was also at the game but had better seats, and she made fun of me for thinking Drake was there.

About 30 minutes later, they put Drake up on the scoreboard and I had fun gloating!

During half-time, my friend Elisa texted me.  A co-worker of hers has seasons tickets down in the 100s, and the seasons tickets holders who sit behind her weren't there.  Since Elisa already had good seats, she texted me to see if I wanted a free upgrade.  Woo-hoo!  My Drake-watching (oh and basketball-watching) was so much better from down there.

The Raptors ended up winning against the Detroit Pistons 111 - 107 which was amazing because it was their record-breaking 11th win in a row.  I will point out, because I have to, that the 2015 Jays had TWO 11-game win streaks, but anyway.  Yah.  (I miss baseball.)  And, because the Raptors scored more than 100 points, we could all use our tickets to get free pizza at Pizza Pizza the next day.

Souvenir cup, Drake sighting, amazing seat upgrade, 11th win in a row, and free pizza!  That's a pretty good Saturday night!  I can only hope that Drake had as much fun as I did.

p.s. The Woo-Hoo! title of this post expresses mainly my joy that my classroom is free right now.

No comments: