Monday, April 11, 2016

I was saying Boo-tista.

It was Opening Weekend here in Toronto, so you know that my weekend revolved around baseball.

Friday was the Home Opener; my third in a row, and the fifth in a row that the Jays lost.  As far as HOs go, it was pretty fun despite the loss.  The game started with a ceremony where Josh Donaldson received his American League MVP award, and then he went on to hit a grand slam.  After the slam, the game was great for awhile.  I felt relaxed and confident.  The Jays were 5 runs ahead.  Just the kind of game I like.  Well then the awful Red Sox got their own grand slam (hit by a less valuable player) and then they actually went ahead to win the game.  Oh well, I had moments of fun at least and I got a blue rally towel and a 2016 schedule magnet, so B+ HO overall.

I watched the game from home on Saturday and quite enjoyed the beginning of it when Joey Bats hit two home runs in a row.  But then stupid Boston blah blah blah and I got disgusted and turned it off.

I had tickets again for Sunday's game.  The giveaway was a souvenir 2015 AL East Champions pennant that I wanted.  I got to the game early with some of my friends and had a really great day at the ball park.  The Jays finally won.  Marco Estrada pitched a gem of a game and Donaldson brought the rain again.

One of the main reasons why baseball is so fun is that I really love my baseball crew.  My good pal Mathew, my friend Vic and I are on our third season of flex passes.  This year my friend Vern bought in too and sits with us.  Mathew always gets a spare pass, so there's a rotating bunch of people who are the fifth of the group.  My friend Elisa and a friend of hers also got flex passes, and it looks like they chose many of the same games as we did.  So far, they've always been sitting on section over and one row up so we can wave to each other.

I also love our random baseball in-jokes.  Last season, Mathew was griping at Jose Bautista saying "what has that guy done for us lately?" to which I replied "He hit two home runs yesterday!!!" And Mathew replied "Well what has he done today?" Now whenever Bautista does something amazing (like the bat flip in game 5 of the ALDS), I heckle Mathew with a "what has he done lately?"

Another favourite in-joke is that somehow along the way, inspired by our love of baseball and the Simpsons, we sometimes say "I was saying Boo-tista" when the crowd is booing.  Now Bootista is our nickname for Joey Bats and my phone recognizes the word Boostista before Bautista.

Anyway, the point of this is that I'm glad baseball games are back for the excitement, and for the laughs.  But not for the losses, hey there Blue Jays, let's minimize those.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I gotta say I'm a little disappointed that this blog titled "Boo-tista" was about baseball. I should have known but that little itty bitty part of me thought you had been watching some not-so-old wrestling videos with the "boo-tista" chants.
https://pics.onsizzle.com/Facebook-0b4d73.png

But you salvaged my faith in humanity with the Simpsons reference, used properly.

Claire said...

I love how much I learn about baseball through you!