Happy new Dashboard Confessional CD day! I'm such a geek, I know... But I've really been looking forward to this album for some reason. I think it's because I decided that it was going to be the soundtrack of my summer (with a name like Dusk & Summer how could it not?). I'm on my first listen as I blog, and so far I'm thinking it's going to be really really good. Oh, and I'll be able to cap it off with the concert on Friday. I'm so excited.
So I "worked" from "home" today. This means that I slept in, watched TV, made some necessary phone calls and filled out some necessary forms, walked to get my new CD, detoured to Indigo and bought a new book and chilled at Starbucks for a bit.
The book I got is "Suite Francaise" by Irene Nemirovsky. Nemirovsky was a writer of Russian descent who lived in France during WWII. Her family fled to the French countryside to hide from the Nazis and she started to work on an epic novel. She was taken to a concentration camp in 1942 and killed. Her daughters spent the rest of the war fleeing and hiding from the Nazis, but they were able to carry a suitcase containing their mother's work. They assumed that what was inside the suitcase was a journal, and decided it would be too painful to read. 65 years later, one of the daughters started to read her mother's work and found out it was a novel. It was published in 2004 and just recently translated into English. Reviews say that it's amazing and even better than the backstory. Unfortunately, Nemirovsky never finished it and only two of the five parts were completed. Anyhow, I decided it may be a good start to my summer reading.
I chilled in Starbucks for a bit and enjoyed another banana creme frap (my drink of the summer). Starbucks for me is like the preppy cool boy (or girl, for male readers) that you may be skeptical and wary of at first, but then you get to know him and find out he's not that bad at all. He's even pretty darned good. Today as I was chilling with my frosty beverage in a comfy leather chair reading my new book, I was offered a sample of their new tangerine chilled beverage and then given a free coupon for a banana creme frap. Oh, how Mr. Preppy Cool Boy is totally winning me over right now. I've almost forgotten about The Second Cup, my old reliable boyfriend. He never gave me freebies and his chilled beverages have changed and are not as good as they used to be.
(Aside: Oh my gosh I am dying over the song So Long So Long on my new CD! It's got Adam Duritz of the Counting Crows singing along. It's great. Oh my.)
Here's something for all of you Coldplay fans that frequent my blog - I came across this download of a Nelly Furtado song featuring Chris Martin song that didn't make the album because of label nonsense. I like it a lot.
This article about the new Harry Potter book concerned me. I hope I hope I hope I hope she doesn't kill him. Not because I want him alive for sequels, but poor Harry has had so much happen to him - can't he live happily ever after??
Happy hump day to you tomorrow. I'm going to have to make an appearance tomorrow to hand in some stuff and then it's grad. Thursday's our year-end staff meeting/lunch and then I'm dunzo. Woot! (Yes, I think my daily reading of pinkisthenewblog has rubbed off on me. I now think like Trent writes.)
11 comments:
haha Starbucks is only going to be able to woo for so long, then tough decisions will have to be made! But then, i guess coffeeshops don't care about polygamy now do they?
Hump day before a long weekend is always the biggest hill. Happy start of summer!
I love those new blended juice tazo tea drinks they have now! Very tasty stuff.
I'm not sold yet on the DC cd, I think I'll download a few tracks and see what I think.
that book sounds interesting!
i love your starbucks/second cup analogies.
i also love that you put a coldplay link!
wow!
I just downloaded the DC album and holy Stolen sounds so similar to Vindicated, lol
Play stolen and just feel how you could be singing Vindicated right along with it... the way and times the music swells, and even the tempo. That's funny.
Good album though, very summer soundtracky indeed!
I read about the Harry Potter thing today...I don't read the books but it would suck if she killed him off. Let's hope she doesn't!
That book sounds very interesting and I may check it out. I have soooo many books to check out!
I can't wait to d/l that NF and CM song! Loooove Coldplay, but Nelly is skankin it up a little too much for my liking recently.
I love iced chai from Starbucks but I buy regular chai latte from a different coffee house...does that make me an unfaithful coffee hoor? or just someone who likes his chai far too much?
thanks for the coldplay link. one of my students got me today an unbelievably extraordinary coldplay memorabilia.
I saw that Dashboard CD at the store today, thought about it, but decided I would wait for now.
ohhhh, Starbucks, *shuder*, sorry, I still think its evil, no matter how many free coupons they give out, and no leather couch or music is going to change my mind. :)
I will have to check out the Furtado/Martin song, it sounds good. :)
working from home is always a fun day - much less productive, but fun. I have never got the whole starbucks thing - - it makes me nervous to be near your 'boyfriend'.
I have no attachments to Harry, but I am a fan of a happy ending.
is the dashboard CD going to be good? can you let me know as soon as you find out? i really like them. a lot. and i definitely laughed when you compared starbucks to the boy. gotta love it. fine, maybe i haven't been there yet, but I completely believe you.
The Banana creme frap is way too addictive. It is in a word "heaven"
Scott
i now must read up on Harry Potter... I too hope she doesn't kill him off, dosen't seem fair!
I'm glad someone else noticed the change in the cold drinks at second cup. I love the frozen hot choclate but it tastes all powdery now...boo to that
Post a Comment