And another weekend has almost bitten the dust. However, this is the last weekend where I'll feel the typical Sunday night blues (and they're not so bad tonight). Next week is the last week of classes and then bam! It's exam week. Exam week is a breeze when you're on the teaching side of the desk. The kids write 'em, they leave, I mark 'em, the end. Easy days for me.
Anyhow, this was a pretty fabulous weekend. The highlight was yesterday, which culminated in my looooooooooong awaited Hawksley Workman concert at Massey Hall. This thing was announced like last August and it was supposed to be on March 25th, but poor Hawksley got sick and it was postponed.
One of my oldest friends in the world introduced me to Hawksely, hence I started to refer to her as Becksley some years back. Becksley lives in London (Ontario, that is) and she and her bf came up for the concert. We met up and went for supper before the show. It turns out that Becksley reads my blog all the time. Every time I started telling her a story, I would remember that she probably knew all about it and read about it on my blog. It took me awhile to think of things to talk about. Soooo, I guess I should avoid actually promoting my blog to my friends so that I'm not completely repetitive in person...
After dinner, we met up with Becca T and the four of us made our way to Massey Hall. Becca T and I were sitting apart from Becksley and bf, but we were in waving distance.
Hawksley was AMAZING. I tabulated that this was my seventh time seeing him live and he never fails to rock my socks off. He started out with some stuff from the new CD but spent most of his time playing his older stuff. It was great. I have to admit, since I hadn't seen him in almost 2 years, I forgot how good he is live and how great his songs are.
I think it was an extra-awesome show because he was psyched to be playing Massey Hall. He played 4 encores. My highlight was during encore #1 (I think) when he came out with his banjo and sat at the front of the stage, away from the microphones, and led the crowd in a sing along of "We will still need a song".
So, the show was definitely the highlight of my weekend. Today was spent procrastinating and doing a bit of work. I think this will be pretty a pretty busy week for me because I have to finish any stray marking, get the rest of my term marks in, go to staff meeting and retirement parties and do a bunch of errands to get ready for my friend’s wedding next weekend.
Hope you all have a super week!
10 comments:
LOL, nothing beats a good banjo! :)
I like Hawksley too, but I don't know much of his stuff...I guess I've just skimmed the surface. He's one of the many artists I need to dive into a little more.
Glad you had an awesome time at the concert! :)
I am glad you finally made the concert, and that it was all you had imagined. I to have pre wedding errands to attend to this week.
I saw Hawksley twice in one summer a couple of years ago. Great shows. Was one of your 7 viewings an acoustic set on the Danforth?
You know, I know that you have suggested Hawksley Workman before and how good his music is, but I still haven't checked out any of his music. I still can't get past the fact that he had this one song while I was in highschool that I couldn't stand. It was as bad as my now 'can't-stand-nickelback' is, I just have to turn off the radio or leave the room whenever I hear them, and it was like that for this one Workman song. I don't remember the name of it, I should really look that up so I can at least give you the song title when I go on and on about how much I hated the song, kind of like what I am doing right now.....I'll stop now. :)
hope your last week of "real" work goes by quickly =].
Sounds like a pretty great show! 4 Encores? That is crazy stuff.
Scott
Wow sounds like a kickass concert! I wish he'd come here more often, I don't think he'd been here in a while.
Kickass banjo encore!
oh my god... i thikn i have a mistake to point out..."..never fails to disappoint." Yes the more I read that the more I am sure that you made a mistake and I pointed it out... YEeee haaaa! Of course it could just be that i'm reading it wrong and now i look like a yutz booo.
*sigh* You're right Jo. That does not make sense... I changed it to "never fails to rock my socks off".
You gonna let me live this down?
new saying is much better... I'll think about letting you live it down. I'll prolly have to just so you won't have to be constantly correcting me!!
Post a Comment