I have an ostrich tendancy.
I try to keep my head in the sand about a lot of things in my life. I guess I feel that if I don't acknowledge them, I will lessen the effect they have on my life.
Today something I'd been burying my head about is facing me head on. In fact, I'd wager it's a multitude of things.
I think I joked previously in my blog about my dad's "shovel foot". My dad is an avid gardener and last year he found his digging foot was bothering him. The doctor thought it was arthritis, but this summer it turned out that it was due to a blockage in his arteries caused by far too many years of smoking. Ironically, I taught one of my classes about how plaque builds up in arteries this week.
(I found that growing up with a parent who smoked lead to me being totally disgusted by cigarettes and I've never even tried one.)
I think it was the end of August when he found out he'd have to have bypass surgery. The actual surgery seemed like it would be miles away then, but they've moved it up and he's going to have it tomorrow or Friday.
I'm terrified. I know that it will be okay and tonnes of people have this surgery (Letterman, Clinton... heck my roommate's dad had it in August) and are OK.
I'm also feeling very stressed for my mom. My mother is not well. She has multiple sclerosis and I worry about her being home alone while my dad is in the hospital.
I think I will spend some extra time at home this weekend. I don't know the details of how long my dad will be in the hospital, but I may take a couple of days away from work next week.
I also envision myself travelling home a lot in the next couple months.
Right now I feel that there is a lot of weight on my shoulders, and I'm terrified that it will crash down on me.
13 comments:
Whoa, your post beat mine!!
I'm sending prayers right back at you.
You are right. Home is the best place to be at a time like this.
I'll be thinking about you.
I wish you and all of your family all the best. Good luck to your Dad.
Scott
Good luck, hun! Like I said yesterday...I'm hear if you need me :) Lots of hugs and I totally understand.
*here
I have some strong shoulders of you need them. :)
I am the same way about smoking, everyone in my family smokes, so I always found it completely disgusting, and like you, have never ever tried and never will in a million years. :)
I hope everything turns out well. :)
I wish your dad well in his recovery. It's hard to see our parents be this vulnerable...
Hugs.
i'm praying for a speedy recovery for your dad, some relief for your mom, and for you not to have to stress out too much.
Oh Christy, how terrible for you.
Please please please let me know if there is anything I can do. I can bring you and your mom turkey dinner, drive you where you need to go, WHATEVER. Just ask.
I will keep you and your family in my prayers.
Becka
Here's hoping that the surgery went smoothly, and for a quick return to gardening form.
You know were all wishing your dad the best. hooray for virtual support.
oh girl
i'm so sorry to hear this!
thoughts are with you....
Wow. I feel so guilty for not reading this before now. You never talk about your mom being sick. Hope your strees has been relieved. I'm here if you need me. I may not be able to cook you a turkey, but i'd take you to the store to get it!!
Post a Comment