If you looked in my clothes closet, you would notice that there are very few skirts or dresses. If you looked in the hall closet at my shoe rack, you'd notice that there are mostly funky running type shoes, wedges and platform-y type shoes. There isn't much in the way of high heels. If you dug around my jewelry, you'd notice that most pieces are chunky and funky, not delicate and pretty.
If you looked around my room, you could not find an issue of Glamour, In Style, Elle, Cosmo, or any of that sort of women's magazine. You'd see some music magazines (I subscribe to Chart) and the odd celebrity-smut magazine (evidence of a cheap remedy for a bad day). If you were to look at my bookshelf you'd see a few chick lit books (The Devil Wears Prada, The Undomestic Goddess, Angry Housewives Eating Bonbons) but they're far outnumbered by contemporary fiction and an assortment of non-fiction from literary travel to memoirs to comedy to science.
If you poked around the living room, you'd notice that there's a Playstation (okay, it hasn't been used for video games since I started working... damned job). My DVD collection primarly consists of seasons of the Simpsons, comedies, and Tim Burton movies. Sure, there are a few romantic comedies - but they all star a former SNLer and Drew Barrymore.
Anyhow, from the evidence presented to you, you'd probably safely come to the conclusion that I am not much of a girlie girl, right?
Well, you haven't checked out the clutter counter and shelves in my bathroom.
Look around there and you'll find enough beauty products to last a normal person a decade.
I have shocked many a friend, including ones who have known me for years, with my affinity for all things cosmetic. As I said, I do not act like a girlie girl in any aspect of my life except for the purchasing of beauty products. Lip glosses, eyeshadows, lotions, perfumes, and shower gels are my favourite poisons. Why I need another body butter when I know I have probably 4 others at home is beyond me. Yes, I am well aware that I have 5 other sparkly pink eyeshadows, but this one has a gold tone to it and it's on sale. I don't really need new makeup, but if I spend $28 at Clinique, I get a bonus bag of goodies. How could I pass that up?
I started a tradition once I moved from the realm of student to working person with a bit of disposable income. Every year around my birthday, I go to the Eaton Centre and go on a beauty spree. I had to do that this weekend, before my birthday, since I'm going to St. Ratford next weekend and they don't have my favourite stores. Although, the Shopper's Drugmart there has been renovated and has a great cosmetics section. Did I mention that I have the freakin' Shopper's Visa so I can get extra Optimum points wherever I shop? I've gotten a lot of free shite outta that sucker.
So today's activities included a fun stop at Lush (my bath store), the Body Shop (I have the card where I get $10 of free stuff for my birthday there), Sephora (somehow I managed not to buy anything there), and the makeup counters at the Bay.
Okay, I'm off to have a yummy bath and then try out my new body butter, exfoliating scrub and mosturizer. And I'll finish off the crappy chick lit book that I am reading just to end my girlie girl day off on a particularly girlie girl note.
5 comments:
I was unaware of your poisins. I do notice your makeup is always fantastic though....and I did receive some cute lipgloss for x mas....so I had a peek into the girlie side. I am not overly girly either, but it has its days.
the last chick lit book that i read i felt like hurling it out a 14 story window, i'll admit it. but sparkle is good. and happy recent birthday, i'm assuming! cash in alll the way with those birthday specials.
I got nothing. :)
I can't handle Lush, just walking by it overpowers me. I am sure that individual products from there are great, it is just the mass odour that is tough to deal with.
speaking of chick lit, i am sooo excited about 'the nanny diaries' being made into a movie.
thanks for all the music tidbits, that'll be helpful for some more of my itunes perusing!
happy birthday to someone in her late mid-twenties from someone in her early thirties.
Post a Comment