Home from fall concert 7/8! I can't believe that I'm down to one pair of concert tickets (Stars). I used to have a huge stack of them in my desk drawer. Well, hopefully there will be just as many great shows for me to go to in the new year.
Anyway, tonight was my Hawksley Workman/Hey Rosetta! show at Massey Hall. Hey Rosetta! were a fabulous opening band. Why does it seem that the sets of opening bands that you actually like are super short, but those of bands you don't care for go on and on and on? I definitely need to see Hey Rosetta! on their own sometime so I can enjoy a nice long set.
Hawksley made me beyond happy by opening up with a Christmas song (Almost a Full Moon). Yay! His second song, Ilfracombe, is one of my favourites and I've never heard it live before, so it was super speical. The rest of the set was great. The sound equipment actually had technical difficulties during a really rawk version of the sound Striptease which was unfortch. (One fan yelled "you busted it with awesomeness!") However, Hawksley made the best of the situation by doing an amazing acoustic version of Anger as Beauty. When the sound system was fixed, the rest of the band came in, and finished off the song.
For the encore, Hawksley invited up all of Hey Rosetta! to play with his band for "Your Beauty Must Be Rubbing Off". It was awesome. He had done the same thing in March when I saw him at the Danforth Music Hall, and that's actually how I discovered Hey Rosetta! It was definitely a performance worth seeing a second time.
Hawksley always has a special place in my heart as a performer. I've lost count of the number of times I've seen him. The first time I saw him was in March of 2001 at the Rivoli with my pal Becca T (who of course accompanied me tonight). It was the first really small indie show we'd ever attended, and turned us into the concert-going nuts that we are today. Seeing Hawksley is like seeing an old friend, and it's best done with an old friend. :)
ps Rilo chewed through my headphones the other night but I still love her.
3 comments:
All of the gigs you've gone to sound super awesome. I'm jealous - am itching to get to some music soon!
Cxx
We went to see hawksley too, wasn't it great when the sound came back on? We were in the 2nd balcony and it was unforgettable. yeah, our last tickets are skydiggers christmas at the horseshoe, a real tradition for us now.
I am making minestrone on Wednesday.
Post a Comment