Sunday, May 24, 2009

It was extraordinary.

I just checked something off my "things to do before I die" list, that I didn't even realize *was* on my list, until I did it. (Not that I actually have the list written down, but you know, there are just things that you know that you want to do.)

And that, my friends, is seeing a concert from the front row of Massey Hall.

Massey Hall is probably Toronto's most esteemed venue for a concert. I think I've seen three other shows there, but all from the balcony.

Somehow the internet ticket gods bestowed upon me these row A tickets, and I was excited, but I didn't realize how amazing it would feel until I was actually there.

And, it was especially amazing being front row for an artist that is as talented as Joel Plaskett.

He played two sets. The first was a rootsy set with his dad and two other musicians (who all play on his newest record) accompanying him. It was a really great set, and included a lot of fun older stuff, as well as new stuff. Also, Becca T was immensely happy when he randomly gave a shout-out to gluten-free pizza during a song. My personal favourite was the acoustic version of "Nothing More to Say" from Ashtray Rock.

There was a short intermission, and then the Emergency band came out for a more rock-based second set. It was extremely high-energy, and pretty much everyone was out of their seats and dancing for the second set. By the end of the show, BT and I were standing against the stage, both wowed that we got to touch such a legendary stage.

It was definitely one of the best concerts I've ever been to, and if talent was correlated to fame, Joel Plaskett would be selling records like Nickelback. But, who gets to play Massey Hall? Take that Nickelback!

After the show, BT and I debriefed the concert with a pitcher of cider, as is our tradition. We got a bit drunk and giggly, and then I walked it off as I walked home on a perfect May night.

Extraordinary.

8 comments:

rawbean said...

Whoohoo! Sounds like an awesome concert! I have to check out more Joel Plaskett....isn't his new album like multiple albums?

Jason Carlin said...

You had me at "if talent was correlated to fame, Joel Plaskett would be selling records like Nickelback" - it really was a terrific show - I was in the 2nd row aisle 4.

wigsf said...

Front row at Massey Hall is pretty cool...

But the show I saw in that case had a lot of taurus pedal and when you're that up close to the speakers, the bass can be so heavy that your chest feels like it's caving in.

Claire said...

That sounds amazing!

Cxx

wigsf said...

To answer your question, The Musical Box. They play Massey (or the Music Hall on Danforth) every year. If haven't heard of them, they're most likely not your cup of tea.

I've also had front rows to Colin James at the Markham Theatre. If you like front rows and the whole "it's like you can reach up and touch the artist" feeling, Markham Theatre is the best I've ever been to.


And I've been thinking about your "if talent was correlated to fame" topic. I don't believe that's possible. Here's why. I think deep down, there's a part of us (most people) that would disown our fanship of our favourite artist should that artist reach mainstream success. There is something to be said about a fan feeling ownership of the artist for just as long as that fan can find individuality and uniqueness through that artist.
I would love to say that I will still love Joel Plaskett even after he has a string of number one hits and sellouts 3 shows at Wembley in 2 hours. (Feel free to exchange the term 'Joel Plaskett' with who ever you think I would hold in such great esteem.) And JP will never have that sort of success. He's just not that sort of artist, but that's probably a good thing, right? It allows you to see him in the more intimate venues.

Aaron said...

awesome! I'll have to add seeing a show in ANY row at Massey Hall to my list.

There is a 'pear-berry' cider at the LCBO right now; ever tried a pear cider?

Christielli said...

wigsf - That's why I said "if"... But I'm with you, I'm glad that talent is not correlated to fame, 'cuz then I'd have to see my fave bands at the ACC. Blech.

Jason Carlin said...

I think Massey Hall is the biggest venue I'd go to see a band I love - Air Canada Centre or Rogers Centre is a bit too cavernous. I saw Feist play the Sony/Hummingbird Centre and it was perfect, but I just couldn't picture her playing her next gig in the Air Canada Centre.

Lots of love for "Nothing More to Say" from Ashtray Rock, but I couldn't help but whoop for "Million Dollars" and "Extraordinary".

So Neko and Joel Plaskett? That's 2 of my "Best Shows of The Year That Will Be Hard To Beat" so far.