Monday, May 04, 2009

Maybe sparrow, you should wait.

My weekend was dull, and unproductive in the reorganizing my apartment/spring cleaning front. However, there was some productivity in the reading and marking fronts.

On the reading front, I've gotta get my ass in gear with my goal of reading 52 books this year. As you can see from my sidebar, I've finished 13 books and I'm about halfway there on my 14th. The 17th week of the year just finished, so I'm not too far off the pace. Of course, I've got summer vacay, when I will catch up and work my way ahead.

The last book I finished (The True and Outstanding Adventures of the Hunt Sisters), was good, but it put a wrench in my reading goals. I wanted to finish it, and when I want to finish a book, I cannot start another one, or the previous will not get finished. I'm not one of those people who can effectively read two books at once. Anyway, I should have started my current book (The Time Traveller's Wife), a long time ago, but I had to finish this book first. It was a good book overall, but slow-going at times. Or maybe it was my brain that was slow-going.

The Time Traveller's Wife is the current selection for my staff book club. I've had months to read it, but I don't like to read the book 'til a couple weeks before the meeting or I'll forget everything and look stupid in front of all of those English teachers. The meeting keeps getting pushed back, and I *think* it's on Wednesday. But the end of tonight, I'll be halfway done the book, but there is no way I'll finish it before the meeting. That's okay though; I think I know enough to contribute to the conversation, and I like it enough that I'll finish it even if I find out the ending.

Pretty much the highlight of my weekend (and this is sad), was spending yesterday afternoon marking with a pal from school at a coffee shop in our neighbourhood. I find that even though I work in the same bloody building as some of my best friends, we go weeks without really seeing each other, since high schools tend to be rather compartmentalized and everyone is so effing busy all of the time. It was fun to catch up with my friend, and share some stories about the crazy people we work with and life itself. And somehow, in between all of the chatter, I got completely caught up on my marking. That's right. I don't have a single piece of work to mark right now. Of course, that will change by tomorrow, when two of my classes have assignments due, but I'll enjoy the moment.

As we were marking, my friend said "Do you mind if I run out for a second and buy a gnome?"

"Holy I'm going deaf... I thought you said you need to buy a gnome."

"No, you're not deaf, there's a gnome in that little gift store across the street that I want. He used to have a friend but someone bought the friend. I want that gnome before he's gone too."

I cracked up and told her to go for it. I marked on my own for a little bit. My friend came back sad and gnomeless. "The store is closed on Sundays."

My friend is super busy these days (she's directing the school musical), so I offered to go pick up the gnome today after school, since I live in the neighbourhood. Yes, I got to go into the store and ask them "how much is that gnome-y in the window?"

Here's a picture of the fellow who will spend the night with me 'til I bring him to school tomorrow. I like him. I kind of want to gnome-nap him and keep him for myself.



ps Gnome is totally one of my fave words ever. I'm so glad I was able to use it multiple times in a post. I'm even going to tag this post, and make it a goal to post more about gnomes in the future.

7 comments:

AlieMalie said...

i totally think that after a period of time, you should secretly gnome-nap him and take photos of him in places and send them as postcards back to your friend from places around Toronto.

anyhoodle, i hope you enjoy The Time Traveller's Wife - it was quite a good book if i remember correctly.

rawbean said...

Awhhh so cute that little guy is....awh again.

The Grunt said...

Gnomes are our garden protectors.

wigsf said...

What's most frightening is that AlieMalie is speaking of something that people actually do.

Aaron said...

what up gnomie?

Name said...

I have a gnome. His name is John Gustav Supertramp and he goes with me on picnics and camping trips.

You totally should get one.

-jason- said...

if you were to use linux, i'd suggest to you to go for the popular gnome desktop. it's quite gnome-y. =)