It's been post-a-rama around here these days, but today was completely post-worthy.
Today is the first time ever in my teaching career that kids made me cry.
Before you think that the hooligans finally got to me, you know of course it was good crying.
We had a year end eco-celebration with my posse and their well-wishers today. We received the environmental award that we had been working on over the year, so of course, we needed to have a party.
Last night, I wanted to get each member of the posse a little gift, so I bought Indigo out of their supply of environmentally-friendly bookmarks complete with inspirational quotes and a little plantable leaves that will sprout into flowers.
However, the posse outdid me. They got me a plant, and they made me the most AMAZING scrapbook ever. It made me cry! They wrote me a poem, included tonnes of pictures of everything we did all year, and even all wrote me individual messages. You should see this book. It is the mother of all scrapbooks. The messages were so heartfelt and really made me tear up. It's seriously the sweetest thing anyone's ever done for me!
My favourite page is the pictures of them assembling the book itself. Priceless. Also they had a bit of fun mocking me about how they fooled me into thinking that they were taking group pictures yesterday for the yearbook, and how they even put together some of the book together in my class. Oh, and they got me to contribute a bunch of stuff too, under the guise that it was for the yearbook.
I showed a couple of my colleagues the book (as I cried a little), and then showed it to Becca T when we went out for post-work frappucinos. Becca T said "this warms my heart, and it's not even written for me."
On of the funniest parts of this is that I must have looked happy as I was walking down the street from my school. There was a creepy construction dude who's working on the library near our school, and he was all like "ooh, you're smiling, I like that." It was so creepy and I laughed because I think it's hilarious that the fact I was happy 'cuz of something my students did for me resulted in me getting catcalls from said creep.
Anyway, so in summary, the kids are all right, and I swear these kids of mine are going to run the world (you should see this scrapbook), and now I have to go write individualized thank you cards to all of them because they are so sweet.
Also, I'm going to spend some of my weekend scrapbooking as part of a tradition that me and *my* high school friends have. Hmmmm, maybe I should outsource. I know who I could get.
8 comments:
that sounds like the sweetest thing ever! you really sound like a fantastic teacher. can't wait to see your scrapbook :) no outsourcing!
That sounds very sweet - nice surprise from your kids, sounds like they did you proud.
Awhhh that is so sweet. That is pretty amazing that the kids thought of you in that way - you must have really influenced them. I'm sure they will remember you for a long time.
and you shall remember that moment for the rest of your life.
they have a funny way of finding a place in your heart, don't they?
That's so sweet of your students.
Did I just write that? What the heck???
What a great present! Yay! You rock, Miss Christy.
Cxx
awesomeness.
sounds like an awesome class!
Post a Comment