This morning, a Monday, of course, I forgot my wallet at home. Why? Because I had taken it out of my purse to put my latest concert ticket stubs in my ticket stub diary. (Nerd!)
Of course, I realize that my wallet is at home while I make my daily stop at the Tim Horton's by work. Right as they are pouring my coffee into my reusable mug from Starbucks no less. Anyway, as I mumble "I'm sorry, I forgot my wallet" to the lady at the counter, the woman behind comes to my rescue and offers to pay for my coffee. However, the lady at the counter, who knows me since I come in every freaking weekday morning for my caffeine fix, says not to worry about it, I can pay tomorrow. I thank both women, and leave happily with my coffee. As I'm walking out the door, a third lady says "Don't worry, we wouldn't have let you go without your coffee - it's Monday!"
Anyway, it made me happy that two random strangers would have paid for my coffee. Strangely enough, there was no one in the store from my work (adult or teenager), because I think most mornings I'd be able to hit someone up that I know for the cash. But, it makes me way happier to know that random strangers will help. I love random acts of kindness. I need to do some. I'm going to keep my eyes peeled for people in distress. Anyway, rest of Canada, people in Toronto are nice, at least when it comes to forgotten wallets and Monday morning coffees. Take that!
In other news, I've been listening a lot to Regina Spektor's new album "Far" a lot lately. I'm addicted to "Dance Anthem of the 80s". I dunno why I never listened to her before; actually, it's 'cuz I was always waiting for Becca T to make me CDs of her stuff, but she never got around to it, ha-ha. Anyway, she's a little bit Tori-esque, but makes more sense than Tori.
Speaking of Tori, I just signed up for last.fm on the advice of my new indie-rock friend from Friday. (He also suggested I look into Regina.) You can download a tool called the itunes scrobbler (yes, scrobbler is now my new favourite word), which compiles all of your listening statistics into graphs. I love this, of course, since I'm both a music nerd and a math nerd. Anyway, it turns out my most listened to artists are:
1) Tori Amos
2) The Weakerthans
3) Stars
4) Sloan
5) Jack's Mannequin
6) Dashboard Confessional
7) Matthew Good
8) Hawksley Workman
9) Neko Case
10) Rilo Kiley
Now, Joel Plaskett is only #15, but if you add up my Joel Plaskett solo listens with Joel Plaskett Emergency listens, he comes in at number 5. But then I guess I'd have to go adding in Matthew Good Band with Matthew Good, Ben Folds with Ben Folds Five, Jenny Lewis with Rilo Kiley, etc.
All right, enough about that. I'm going to make some hot chocolate, read some more of "Her Fearful Symmetry" and I have a phone call to make. Later, y'all!
8 comments:
I love random acts of kindness. I look for opportunities often, even if it is waiting longer to hold a door open, or help an older person cross the street. It feels good to make someone smile, even for just a moment.
Very reassuring to hear stories like that. They are so much more powerful in a big city, I think!
It's always lovely to hear when people do these things. I think when you live in a big city there is more of an opportunity to do this too.
Oh and Last fm is great, but my only gripe (and it is a tiny one) is that the app for it on my iPhone does not scrobble directly from my iPhone so it has to go through the computer which means Matthew and I will have the same songs scrobbled. Or something. Is scrobbled a word?
I'm glad your Monday went well and a potential bad start turned into a wonderful start to the day.
I used to spend much time analyzing my own listening statistics. Let's just say that none of my ten made it into your ten.
But lately, I've gone back to listening to whole albums straight through. Not even using my computer/ipod for listening that much anymore. I love my record player.
I love that those women all offered to pay for your coffee!! Puts a smile on your face.
Oh and Tori how I adore thee!!!
RAoKs rock. True fact! And yay for Regina - I may buy myself a ticket for her show in Dec. I'll be all on my lonesome...but she'd be worth it!
Cxx
r.a.k.'s are very cool... but even better if it's combined with timmy's i think.
for the nerd in you... you could totally build a powerpoint presentation as more graphs and charts are created. how bout a week by week breakdown, a monthly summary, a year review? possibly do some projections, include z-scores and standard deviations. do a hypothesis test... the possibilities are ENDLESS i tell you! =p
The stats were the main reason I got into Last.FM too, and then they had a bunch of free streaming suggested artists music for a while. Now, they've succumbed to profiteering just like everyone else.
You'd think first thing on a Monday morning would be about the last time people would be in a nice mood, good on them!
Post a Comment