1) Weekend
On Friday, there were intentions to head down to Queen St. W. for dinner, shopping, and a movie. However, it was raining. Those intentions were thankfully abandoned. Instead, pizza was ordered and a slew of Community episodes were watched. Have you seen that show? It is HILARIOUS. Part of it takes part in a Spanish class. Me gusto!
The rain continued on Saturday, so the beginning of Saturday was lazy with more episodes of Community. However, I had to drive Miss Rilo to Stratford, so that my parents can take care of her while I'm in Europe. I leave on Friday, can you believe it? Anyway, I drove her in the rain, and spent the night at my parents'. We ended up watching Eagle vs. Shark (with Jemaine from Flight of the Concords) which is one of my Dad's fave movies. It's weird. Enough said.
I went to the gym in Stratford this morning, bought my parents coffee at Tim Horton's (I'm now 2/14 on Roll Up the Rim) and then headed back to Toronto. Here I am now.
Tonight: cleaning, blogging, schoolwork, and making a massive list/schedule of all the stuff that I must get done before I leave for Europe.
2) Answers
I started blogging way back in March 2005 (6 year blogoversary soon!). I started because Matthew Good, a Canadian musician who I really like, had a blog, and would actually link to his fans' blogs. I thought it would be cool if he linked to my blog, so I decided to start one, but wouldn't send him my address until my blog was respectable enough (whatever that meant).
Anyway, he stopped that practice about a month after I started blogging, and I soldiered on. I think I *almost* stopped blogging early on in the game, but then my friend Mathew made fun of me so I re-started.
What really got me hooked on blogging was when I actually got readers... Jason was one of my first readers, and still reads. Another early reader was my friend Matt in Winnipeg, who doesn't blog anymore but is still my twitter/facebook/Los Campesinos! friend. What's cool is that I'm friends with completely random strangers I met on the internet from all over the world, and many of my blogging friendships are really solid. They are different than the other friendships I have in my life, but I feel that bloggers are almost always really supportive to each other, and great to have around. I'm going to visit Claire in London in about ten days! Yay for blog friends!
I think what keeps me blogging is the continued friendships, and also having an outlet to write. I do enjoy writing and I find my weekly blogging very therapeutic. And, at the end of it, I have a really cool archive of my life.
Friendship, therapy, and a record of life. That's why I blog. Thanks Matt Good. I benefitted so much, even though I never got my link.
b) rawbean asked "If you had to leave Ontario, where would you live?"
If I moved in Canada, I think it would be to somewhere in the East Coast like Halifax or a random small town in Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, or PEI. I went on a road trip of those province a few summers ago and I fell in love with that part of the country. It's so pretty, quaint, and the pace of life is the opposite of Toronto. Plus, I could see Joel Plaskett play more often too!
If I moved outside of Canada, I think I'd say Paris. I haven't been everywhere in the world yet, but I love that city so much, I wonder if I'll ever find one that I like more.
c) The Grunt asked me "what are your phobias?"
I don't have any big phobias of concrete things like spiders or heights. My phobias are of the social type: my fears revolve around rejection and being alone and stuff like that. I really worry that I will end up old and alone because I am an only child with a small family, and my parents are getting up there. I'm not married, so the whole dying alone thing scares the crap out of me. However, my friends are awesome and numerous, and I know they'll always be there for me, and they usually tell me how silly my fears are when I go on about them, so I'm really grateful for that.
d) Claire asks me: "Where is your favourite place on earth? Who was your most inspirational teacher? If you didn't do what you do, which careers would you like to try?"
My favourite place on earth is Paris. Well, I'll update you on that soon. Maybe Barcelona will take that honour?
My most inspirational teacher was/is my mother. She was the person who instilled a love of learning in me, and taught me to keep going no matter how hard life gets. Also, I find my friend Feanna one of the most inspirational teachers out there, and I'm blessed to work with her.
I seriously don't know what I'd do if I wasn't a teacher: most likely a Starbucks barista, or a clerk in a record store or a book shop. Or I'd love to write. I really would. Maybe I'll be like Frank McCourt and take it up in my 60s when I'm done my teaching career.
e) wigsf asked me "What is the worst misappropriation of school equipment that you've ever committed (e.g. using a Bunsen burner to roast marshmallows)?"
I love this question, and I realize that I really haven't misappropriated much school equipment. I've used beakers/Erlenmeyer flasks as flower vases before. I know, calm down Christielli! You are out of control!
If I ever do misappropriate something interesting, I'll blog about it ASAP.
f) Princess Pessimism asked me "what do you do when there is a massive lull in conversation?"
If you've ever met me in real life, you'll know there is rarely a massive lull in conversation when I'm around... unless I'm tired, then you're on your own. I'm described by many as "talkative" and "energetic" so I'm pretty good at keeping a conversation going. Usually it's just a narrative of whatever is in my head, or what I find amusing that particular day ("Look! That squirrel has a fuzzy tail!").
g) Jabba asked "What are some of your favourite books and why"?
One of my favourite books ever is Richard B. Wright's "Clara Callan". I love this book because it is written entirely in letters and journal entries. It also takes place in Depression-era Toronto.
I love the entire Harry Potter series. I think JK Rowling is one of the greatest writers of our time. I can't wait to see what she does next.
I also love Roald Dahl books that I grew up with like "Matilda" and "The Twits". They are hilarious, and again, the writing is really great.
Another favourite is "Rebecca" by Daphne Du Maurier. Well-written and spooky gothic are my thing.
h) Miss Ash asks "you're into books and music, but what else are you passionate about?"
I am passionate about education and learning, which is why I'm in the field that I am. Also, I do work in what you could call a "needy" school. There are many kids there who face many hardships whether it be at home or at school. I feel absolutely blessed to be there, and I work so hard every day to make a difference in their lives. I always thought I'd teach somewhere more "academic" but I'm glad I didn't. So I guess I would say making a difference in my students' lives in another passion of mine.
I am also very passionate about the people in my life. I have a small family that I love, and my extended family of friends. They are such great people, and I often am amazed that I have so many great people in my life.
And, I am passionate about travel! Speaking of which, it's time to wrap up this post and start getting ready for my trip! Hope you all have a great week and I'm sure I'll check in once more before I leave!
10 comments:
awesome post! i'm sorry that i didn't ask a question, but there are some great ones there!
i'll second you on the starbucks barista as the other job. there are days i *dream* about being one.
have a grrrrrrrrrreat trip!
Cool - I'm going to Barcelona this year too. And hopefully will see you (though not in Barcelona unless we do something with the space time continuum)
Fantastic answers (also, dude, if we ever quite teaching let's start up a coffee shop /book and music store for reals!).
So excited! So VERY excited!
Cxx
Using school beakers as vases, eh? You're so bad.
Clara Callan WAS really, really good! Definitely my #2 book of this year.
I can't believe you're leaving on Friday! You must be so excited, but lots of stuff to organize beforehand will keep you busy and distracted.
I hear you about the fear of dying alone - I have the same fear. Then sometimes I think it's silly to worry over something I have no control over.
I enjoyed reading all of your answers! I love that you work at a less "academic" school, those youth need a great role model and someone who genuienly cares for them! Yay!
Thanks for the shout-out. I'm sorry I didn't contribute a question. My brain has not been functioning correctly lately.
Community is one of my top two favorite shows. Troy and Abed's shenanigans always make me laugh. There are a handful of episodes which are just flat out brilliant (or maybe as Pierce would say, "Streets ahead").
Anyways. Getting close to your trip. Pretty exciting!
Word verif: diesail
I was hoping for an irrational fear of corks, but social stuff is fine.
Cool answers. It reads like you are a professional artist and your replying to fanmail in a glamor magazine - which is almost true.
But you never answered my question re boxers or briefs.
You will never die alone, you will always have your cat ;)
Yrautcas last comment just made me spit my water all over my lap LOL! I only laugh cause I will also die with my cat!
Post a Comment