Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Change your sheets and then change me.

This post is going to be mostly about music. There's so much great music coming out this fall and I've barely even dipped my toes in, so to speak.

1) Dan Mangan - "Oh Fortune"

This album came out yesterday, but thanks to a pre-order, I've had in heavy rotation for about a week. I really like this album: I think Dan's definitely taken it up a notch since his fabulous album "Nice, Nice, Very Nice". My favourite song is the first track "About As Helpful As You Can Get Without Being Any Help At All". "Post-War Blues" is great too. Watch the live performance below if you are interested. It's a great performance, and makes me really excited for the end of October, when I'll be catching him live.



2) Tori Amos - "Night of Hunters"

This came out last week, and admittedly I've only listened to it once, but I know I'll be spending a lot of time figuring it out. This record was put out on a classical label: Deutsche Grammophon. All of the songs are based upon classical songs, and melodies weave themselves throughout this concept album, which is all about Tori meeting up with some spiritual guides, some of the parts of which are sung by her eleven year-old daughter. I think you'd totally have to be a Tori-phile to be interested in this album, but I look forward to getting to know it better, and to seeing her live in December.

3) Feist - Metals

I have to admit it: I have a huge girl-crush on Feist. It's a very innocent crush - I just like looking at pictures of her (I think she's beautiful), and I love love love her music. I like Feist so much that I recently bought Elle Canada because she was on the cover, and then immediately read the story about her, and put the magazine aside because I don't really like fashion magazines.

Anyway, the new album comes out next Tuesday and I am so excited. It actually just started streaming on www.listentofeist.com and I'm on my first listen and I'm already loving it big time.

Oh, and did I mention that I'm looking forward to seeing Feist in December too?

4) Kathleen Edwards - Wapusk

I just came across this single on iTunes yesterday. I don't think the LP will be out until January, but I really love the "b-side" to this single: "Change Your Sheets". I saw Kathleen perform both of these songs a the little show that Jason and I went to at the Dakota Tavern at the end of the summer. "Change Your Sheets" stuck with me at the show. When she was performing the song, I could really identify with the lyrics. I've been listening to this song non-stop all day. I have a tendency to obsessively listen to a new song repetitively, and this is my new compulsion.

5) Other new releases

I still need to get the new Elliott Brood album, and I'm interested in the new Ohbijou too. Also, my favourite emo band, Jack's Mannequin, is coming out with a new album next Tuesday as well. And, November brings me new Los Campesinos! too, for which I am beyond excited.

Anyway, that's my music rant. You'll probably get some more of these this fall.

I was going to watch TV tonight, but I sort of forgot about it when I started streaming Feist. Oh well. I haven't been reading much lately - I got stuck on a book about Cleopatra's daughter, but luckily it was due back at the library and I couldn't renew it, so I can abandon it now. I'm going to go start a new book, and listen to Feist. You should too. Read and listen to Feist. It's a recipe for bliss.

6 comments:

Jabba said...

That sounds like the perfect combination - reading and Feist! I knew her new album was coming out - but wow - it's already next week!!!
I'm an old Tori Amos fan (since Under the Pink) and her last few albums....I guess I'm always looking for that old magic and never find it. I would still go see her in concert - if she came to Victoria. Which isn't happening.
(Don't forget there is a new Tom Waits album out next month too! Ha...I realize he's not on the top of your list?)

The Grunt said...

I've been hearing a lot of talk about Feist lately.

Unknown said...

I like your music posts and I have tonight cleared as my listentofeist night (after a party for our students) and in preparation am listening to other things with feist today.

I shall check out everyone else too. I'm currently digging the new Brett Anderson album that arrived for me yesterday. :)

yrautca said...

Of all these the only one I have heard of or like is Tori Amos. Girl's mega crazy.

Claire said...

So excited for Feist and Tori...Sunday is so my listen to music and chill day!

Cxx

Anonymous said...

Like yourself, I get to see Dan later this fall. Something to look forward to. Check.