I'm sitting here, still stuffed up, cold feet, wearing my favourite hoodie, cat on my shoulders, listening to the CBC Radio 3 Podcast about new fall releases. Grant Lawrence has declared Feist's "Metals" the most anticipated Canadian album of the fall, with Dan Magnan's "Oh Fortune" as the second. I'm psyched for both, as I am for non-Cdn releases by Los Campesinos!, my emo-sweethearts Jack's Mannequin, and Tori Amos. They're playing a song by my new year's band, Elliott Brood, and it's good too. My ears are going to be oh-so-happy this fall.
Anyway, I closed out last week in zombie mode. I took Wednesday off of work and thankfully regained my voice. I really should have stayed home for the rest of the week, but I decided to go in and do my best. At least I could speak again. My plague seemed to move from my throat and into my head. My entire head felt congested and just yuck. As soon as the school day was over on Thursday and Friday, I just came home and slept.
However, I am me, and I had some social plans that I didn't want to break. Jason had won some tickets to some TIFF screenings. I had elected to stay home for the movie on Wednesday, but decided that I could drag myself out for a 10 pm screening on Friday. We went out for pho before the movie, and I didn't even finish mine since this cold has messed with my sense of taste and eating more seemed pointless.
I had faith that the movie was going to be okay because it had been recommended by the Toronto Star. The movie was Americano, a French film that was about a man dealing with his mother's death. Well, all I can say was that it was very film festival-y, if you know what I mean. The dude two seats down from me fell asleep and was snoring. I would have followed suit, but the theatre was about two degrees too cold for me to fall asleep. I give the movie one gigantic MEH.
Yesterday, I had sushi-lunch plans with my friend Flora. I actually started to feel like myself again during the lunch, and I had some energy and animation. It was fun catching up. As always, whenever I meet up with an old friend, I realize how lucky I am to have so many awesome people in my life.
I ran some errands and came home for a nap before heading out again to meet up with my friend Elaine to see The Help. I read the book years ago, and the movie is a good adaptation.
At one point during the movie, a loud beeping, perhaps an alarm, started to go off. You could feel everyone in the theatre sort of thinking the same thing "What's that? Someone should go tell them. I would, but I don't want to miss the movie."
Then over the loudspeaker there was a voice that said "This is Toronto Fire Service. There is an alarm in Tower 1". The beeping stopped, and we continued to watch the movie. Then, maybe ten minutes later, the movie (which was about 95% finished) stopped, the lights went on, and we left the cinema.
It seemed like there was a half-hearted rather slow evacuation going on. People were lining up to go to the washroom, and milling about. There were people still buying stuff at the refreshment stands. There were employees handing out free movie vouchers, and we made sure to get some. We decided to leave the building to go have coffee. We saw fire trucks outside, but seriously, what kind of evacuation is it when people are still buying popcorn? And, fire be damned, I don't think anyone would have left without their free movie coupon.
I joked that if this had happened during Americano, I would have evacuated very quickly, vaulting myself over the snoring man.
Good thing I've read The Help because I've yet to see how the movie is resolved. I bet there were maybe like 5 minutes of the film left. Elaine and I have re-booked to go see it again.
Anyway, I'm feeling pretty OK today. Still stuffed up, and I'm going chill out this afternoon/evening with Jason. I should be in good shape for school tomorrow.
5 comments:
glad you are feeling a bit better. I'd say take it easy but I can tell you wont! Enjoy the week! x
Hope you get back to your normal healthy self this week. I really liked The Help. Don't think I've seen many movies recently that hat really stood out, but this one was definitely one of them.
Ohmigod that is funny about that "evacuation". people never seem to react to alarms - probably because of the number of false alarms.
I saw a film fest movie in 2008 - worst movie EVER. I was likely praying for a fire drill then.
I'm glad you're feeling at least human again. Too bad all that music wasn't out when you lost your voice - then you would have WANTED to just sit and listen!
Hope your Monday is going well, sweetie! Can't wait to see 'The Help'.
Cxx
I laughed at the part about you vaulting over the snoring man! I went to see Mushrooms it was also MEH! I had wanted to see The Kid with a Bike but it was sold out.
Post a Comment