Thursday, July 25, 2013

Four more sleeps 'til I leave for Africa.

Miss Rilo Kitty is settled nicely in her country home.  Who knew that cats have really great memories?  It's been about a year since she's last been at my parents' house but as soon as she got there, it was obvious that her first matter of business was to check out the place to see what had changed (not much).  I bet she probably still remembers her life before I adopted her and she became Miss Rilo Kitty.  I always wonder where she came from.  All I know is that she was picked up on the street somewhere near Long Branch.

Anyway, I had a nice little visit in Stratford.  I napped, ran some errands, watched a couple of pathetic baseball games with my parents (oh, those Jays), saw some old friends that I hadn't seen in years, went for a run around the old high school, and visited with my aunt.  A lot to pack into 48 hours, huh?  Well done me.

I took the train back to the city today.  I love a nice sunny morning train ride through the countryside while I drink a cup of coffee and listened to music.  I made a pretty sweet Matthew Good playlist for the ride.  I haven't listened to him in a long time, and a lot of his music takes me back to happy places in my life.  Anyway, the point of this is that it was a nice journey back home.

Of course, it's not really home without Miss Rilo to welcome me.  Cat-less life is weird.  No one's trying to lie on my keyboard as I write this!

After a relaxed afternoon, it was gym, then errands.  Right now I'm in the process of making myself low maintenance for my trip: I had my shellac manicure stripped off my nails without getting a new one, not even one without polish, and no pedicure either.  I figure construction work in Africa is going to be hard on my hands and feet, so I'll get those fixed when I'm back.

It kind of blows my mind that I'm going to go three weeks with no jewellery, no makeup, and not really worrying about fashion.  It will be good for my soul I think.

My nails are actually really long right now.  Six-plus months of healthy living is doing wonders for me.  I haven't gotten sick once (I used to get a cold about every 2-3 months) and my nails are super strong and don't break.  Anyway, I'm going to go cut them and take the polish off my toes.

And, four more sleeps until I fly out.  It's off to London, then a ten-hour stopover, then off to Nairobi.  So six more sleeps until I'm in Africa.  I. Cannot. Believe. It.

1 comment:

rawbean said...

That is so amazing! Are you going to be able to blog from Africa? I can't wait to read about your experience. Take lots of pictures!!