Monday, July 01, 2013

I've gotten back to the road where I started.

Summer's here!  And here's how it started for me.

Rainy Friday.  Our year-end staff social on a massive neighbourhood patio was moved into the school.  It was still fun.  Afterward, I carried on to the Bier Markt with some friends where I indulged in Belgian and Kenyan (!) beer.

Early Saturday morning.  Met up with my pal Mathew and a couple of his friends for a cross border shopping extravaganza in Buffalo New York.  We had to get back to Toronto by 8 or 9, so it was a whirlwind.  I ended up pretty much buying a whole new summer wardrobe: lots of shorts and light Ts that I hope will be appropriate for Kenya.  Lots of fun bright colours too.

We had dinner at The Cheesecake Factory.  I've never been there before.  Since we were in a rush we had to get our cheesecake to take home.

Crossing back home was rather funny.  My friend Mathew always gets a bit clammy when being questioned by customs agents.  When the lady asked us where we'd been, he froze and then said "The Buffalo" to which she replied "What did you do in THE Buffalo?"  From now on, it's always going to be The Buffalo to me.

I was home by 9 pm and had the problem of the cheesecake on my hands.  My diet's been a little off track during the month of June because of the sheer amount of parties going on.  I've been cheating far too often.  Anyway, I know that my trainer always tells me that a good time to eat carbs is after a workout, so I threw on my running clothes and ran over 7 km to earn my delicious cheesecake.

Sunday was a day of rest.  I finished reading a book, and listened to She & Him Vol 3 on vinyl. 

Today I went with my pal Mathew to the Jays' game.  Being that it was Canada Day, there were free read Jays hats for the first 20 000 fans, and the game sold out, so we went early.  Good thing too, because the dude beside us was about 15 mins later than we were, and got no hat.  It was a great game: the Jays gave the Tigers a nice drubbing (to steal a word from the CBC).  The final score was 8 to 3.

After the game, I came home, had a nap, then watched TV for the evening (rare for me).  I watched shows on either end of the intellectual spectrum: Jeopardy! and The Bachelorette.

Long weekend is over, and tomorrow starts my time off officially. This week is busy.  I have training, exercise dates with friends, shots to get for Kenya, three concerts, and I need to get my apartment into some semblance of order.  Good thing I got a bit of rest this weekend.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

You always seem busy. So glad you had such a fun weekend! :)

The Grunt said...

Now I want cheesecake.

Miss Ash said...

Ohhh which cheesecake did you have? I went yesterday and had the lemon raspberry! I normally have the enormous red velvet or Reese peanut butter and chocolate but figured the raspberry was somehow the healthier choice lol!

Jabba said...

Cheesecake Factory?! Sounds awesome!