Weekends go by way too quickly even though this one had an extra hour.
On Friday night, I ended up staying at school until almost 6 pm. I had gardening with the environmental club until 4 pm, then I ended up staying later helping my friend Fea and Student Council with a project. This meant that I didn't really have time to go home before the Matt Good show at Massey Hall, so I did my best to fit all of my school things into just one big bag, and set off for the show wearing my Hunter rainboots, since that's what I'd warn that day since it was a bit rainy, and I had gardening after school. Wellies aren't the most rock 'n roll, but oh well.
I got my ticket debacle solved (yay!) and then took myself out for some dinner and browsed around the Eaton Centre for a bit. At the show, I decided to splurge on a Matt Good tshirt, because it's really cute and has gold arrows on it, and also a glass of red wine. I got up to my seat in the top balcony just in time to catch the opening band, Gentlemen Husbands, who were pretty good.
As always, I forget how much I really do love Matt Good. He put on a great set. I loved hearing old MGB songs like Load Me Up, Apparitions, and Hello Timebomb. I also loved hearing some of his earlier solo work like the song Weapon, and a reworked version of While We Were Hunting Rabbits. I bought his new album Arrows of Desire (you understand the Tshirt now!) earlier in the fall, but didn't really connect much with it. However, as often happens with me and music, once I see the songs live, I fall in love with them, and the album has been on heavy rotation all weekend. It's quickly becoming one of my favourites of the year.
Saturday was a yucky rainy day. I slept in and finally dragged myself out in search of a new cold weather running outfit. I used to be a happy treadmill runner, but now I don't like it as much, and I want to be able run in single digit temperatures, and even when it gets below zero. I knew that today was going to be around 2 degrees Celsius, so I really wanted a new outfit so I could get out today. I ended up getting new running tights (my old ones are too big and fall down when I run), and an awesome running pullover from Lululemon. The pullover is brilliant; it's got mesh panels to let you breathe, but it's made out of a soft warm material. It also has "cuffins" which are like built-in mittens that you can take off if your hands get hot. No need to mess with gloves/mittens!
After that, I ran by David's Tea to buy myself my very favourite tea of theirs: Santa's Secret. It's totally too early for Christmas anything, but it's my favourite tea, and I'll probably go through 100 g of it in a months. It's a creamy black with candy cane bits in it, so it tastes all sweet and peppermint-y. Yum.
After my retail therapy, I met up with my friend Karen at a pub on the Danforth before we hit up The Danforth Music Hall for Joel Plaskett. It was a solo acoustic show where he was joined by his dad for a few songs (awwww). It was great, and he played a lot of rare songs that I hadn't heard in awhile from older albums such as La De Da and Ashtray Rock. It was a lovely show.
Today I avoided the Ford brothers' radio show (but read all about it afterwards) by going for my cold weather run in my new running threads. It was such a nice day for it! Even though it was cold, it was sunny, and all the leaves are still changing on the trees, so my route through Mount Pleasant Cemetery and residential streets was picturesque. I can't wait for more cold weather runs.
I spent the rest of my afternoon running errands and now I'm roasting some chicken and sweet potatoes for my lunch for the next two days. It's going to be another insanely busy week with work and workouts, but that's OK. I think I'm getting more and more used to life being so high speed.
What I want to do this evening is to have a glass of wine, a hot bath, and read a book for awhile because I don't think I've finished a book for a month which is CRAZY for me. Good thing baseball season is over.
2 comments:
Isn't it great when you forget how much you love someone's music, and are reminded at a live show? That's happened to me before too.
Brad has read about ten books in the last two months which is unheard of for him - he's obsessed. I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum. Maybe this week I'll turn it around.
That tea sounds intense.
I haven't finished a book in a while as I am reading Infinite Jest. I love how running is such a part of your life now. It is so cool. And I love what live music does. Love it. x
Post a Comment