I always get melancholy when the holidays end. I'm doing my best to keep my spirits up today. On top of the end of holidays, I've also succumbed to an annoying cold, which has caused me to hibernate for most of the weekend.
I went out yesterday to see my friends Jon & Ali. When I saw them in November, Jon realized he got his haircut in my neighbourhood, and he decided that he would use his haircuts as a strategy to get together more often. Whenever he'd get his haircut, he'd text me to see if I was around, and we'd go for coffee. Ali was able to leave their kids with the neighbours, so I got to see both of them! I guess that's how friendships go in your thirties... you need things like haircuts and neighbours to bring you together.
Anyway, it was great seeing them, and Jon is prepping to run an entire marathon in the spring, so I got to ask him some advice before I start training for my half. I realize that when I go for my longer runs, I'm going to need to bring an energy source (gels? Gatorade?) with me. I asked his advice, and he passed along a great trick: a gummy bear every five minutes. Apparently one gummy bear is the energy you need for five minutes, and if you keep eating them continuously through a long run, they should get you to the finish line. I am so excited to try this out! That's a reward for every five minutes! Love it. I'm excited to try this.
Today I slept in and dragged myself out to buy a new dress that I had my eye on, because wearing it tomorrow will give me something to look forward to, right? I also stopped by the library, got a latte, got some cold medication, and got groceries. Now I'm making some veggie chili to eat for dinner and also have for healthy lunches during the week. Yay for starting the new year off with good habits.
I'm also starting my one month alcohol fast today. So no drinks until February 5th, with an exception: there is an off chance that I might get some good news, and if that happens, I get to break the fast. But it might not happen just yet. (This news will happen eventually though... just a matter of when.)
Okay, dinner, a little bit of reading, then I have to do some marking. Oh school nights, how I have *not* missed you.
2 comments:
Is your good news your trip to Europa? Or is there more to this? Do tell!
It must be hard to go back after the holidays, especially when you get a break. What's your good news?!
I wonder if the gummy bear thing would help me get through a work day. Finish one detail - gummy bear! Successful meeting - gummy bear!
I'm doing it.
Post a Comment