Well, I've just returned from my cousin's wedding. Hence the wedding-related-song-quote-title of this post. It's from the Weakerthans song "Reconstruction Site" which is my very favourite song in the whole wide world. This luckily meant that I didn't have to rack my slightly wine-addled brain very much for a wedding-related-song-quote.
So, the wedding was very nice. My aunt from Stratford has been staying with me for a few days and I took the GO Train out to Mississauga for the wedding. My relatives from Ottawa were also at the wedding. My parents couldn't make it, so I was sort of sent as their representative. I don't even really know my cousin that well.
Anyway, I'm just sort of in a melancholy mood right now. Weddings always make me this way. I guess that's because I'm at the point in my life where get married is the next logical big step, since I've done the whole education thing, and now have the career that I want. But, I'm totally NOT ready to get married. Which works out okay, being as I really don't have anyone to marry at this point. I'm lucky that my family doesn't pressure me about my total lack of marriage inclination or prospects. I was totally expecting to hear some comment about me being the next in line to get married, since I'm the next oldest cousin. But I didn't. The worst I got was having to get up to catch the freaking bouquet. Whenever the bouquet is tossed, I always make sure I'm standing in some spot where the bride could never toss it. My 16 year old cousin did catch the garter however. So I guess the poor sucker's next. Ha! Hmmm, if said wedding occurs anytime soon, it would totally be a family scandal so at least I'll be amused.
Well, another reason for my melancholy could be that I haven't done anything very fun in awhile. I need to go out or something. Tim Burton's Corpse Bride has opened early here in Toronto at the Paramount Theatre, so I think I should go see it one night this week. And top it off with a round of martinis. That would be good.
Edit: I just thought of something funny that happened. I was talking to my 16 year-old cousin and grilling him about what kind of music he listened to (I always fear for my little cousins' musical souls). He asked me "Have you ever heard of Green Day?" I laughed so hard at the child. "Of course I have heard of Green Day," I said, "I've been listening to them since 1994!" Then I proceeded to give him a long lecture about how he'd better make sure he listens to albums as a whole because downloading has lessened people's appreciation of albums as a whole - which is a sad, sad thing.
1 comment:
Corpse Bride and martinis, sounds like one hell of a good night. Lucky for you it opens early there.
Weddings are weird things to go to as a single person, I've never been terribly fond of them.
and Reconstruction Site is an amazing song indeed.
Post a Comment