- a heat advisory (temperature of 33 right, humidex in the 40s -- look at my nearly naked weather pixie!)
- a smog advisory
- air quality is moderate to poor (they expect it to be poor tonight)
- a ''wildcat'' transit strike
What a fun day.
There were grumblings last night about the possibility of a strike but I think most people didn't think it would happen and were really unprepared. I made sure to line up my ride to work from a colleague last night just in case. We left super early (6:45 am) to beat the eventual mad rush.
My classes were really empty. Which was good because no additional body heat was needed in my classroom. It was soooooo hot. Plus, I'm on the third floor and we all know that hot air rises... I'm not looking forward to tomorrow and Wednesday when this heat wave continues.
Story of the day: one of my colleagues overheard a student signing in at the office during first period. He'd arrived late and the attendence secretary asked him "why are you late?" He told her he was late because the bus was running late. She looked at him and started to laugh and proceded to inform him of the TTC strike. Hmmm... guess whose "I'm late 'cuz of the bus" excuses aren't going to fly any more.
I got home really early. My colleagues and I decided to beat the rush home and left school right away. A weird feeling. Glad to be out of the oven. When I walked into my super cool air conditioned apartment I felt like singing the hallelujah chorus.
Tonight I plan on going to the Second Cup or Starbucks and getting a super cool chilled coffee beverage and finishing the marking I've been avoiding. Good times.
Oh yeah, and the strike's been declared over. Back to normal tomorrow. Except for the crazy hot weather that is.
7 comments:
lol you're the first person I thought of when I heard about the TTC strike, and looked forward to reading your blog post on it. Buncha ingrates, glad to hear you caught wind of it last night and made other arrangements.
Awesome story about the student!
I thought of you when I read the paper this morning on my commute to work from the bedroom to the livingroom.....traffic in my hall was wild. The heat could leave anytime....my apt does not have AC, and damn it is spicy
Glad that you survived the strike. Going to be even more warm today. Good times eh?
Scott
You can sent some of that heat this way. I have seen nothing but rain and cold for my first week back in toon town, and that was after dealing with 10 days of rain in Montreal. The weather doesn't like me this year. :)
is it possible for 8-year olds to already have B.O.? because after the past 2 days of heat, my students reek!
yes... it is really hot here by the great lakes. i figured i'd be coming home to some cooler temps to recuperate from being scorched in hong kong and taiwan... but the temps here aren't that much better.
it's nice to get back into my daily blog reading sched =].
cold front on its way! should be there in about an hour....quite the refreshing storm!
Any prolonged TTC strike would have been madness good thing that's all fixed up.
Post a Comment