Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Once I wanted to be the greatest...

This is the best news article I've read in a long time. It makes me oddly happy.

Sloth wins 3-year battle with German scientists

At long last,
zoologists give up trying to bribe animal to move
January 24, 2007
Associated Press

JENA, Germany – To thine own sloth, be
true.

For three years, scientists at the University of Jena tried to
persuade Mats the sloth to co-operate in an experiment on animal
movement.

But nothing they tried, not even the promise of cucumbers and
spaghetti, could persuade the lethargic Mats to get up off the floor of his
cage, climb a pole and climb back down.

So today, scientists at the university's Institute of Systematic Zoology and Evolutionary Biology said they had finally given up. It was, perhaps, a triumph of nature over nudging researchers.

"Mats obviously wanted absolutely nothing to do with furthering science," said Axel Burchardt, a university spokesman.

Mats' new home is the zoo in the northwestern city of Duisburg where, according to
reports, he is very comfortable.

I have to catch up on my CD listening. A couple of weeks ago, I came across Cat Power's "The Greatest" and Jenny Lewis & The Watson Twins' "Rabbit Fur Coat" on sale, and I bought them both. I feel that I've only had time to skim the surface of these albums. I love love love the title track of Cat Power, and there's a super cool cover of the Travelling Wilburys' "Handle with Care" on the Jenny Lewis album. Ben Gibbard of DCFC adds some vocals to that track. All the reviews of that CD that I read said that that track was corny, but I say screw 'em, I love it.

Two days until Friday.

Big Boo-urns to no new Office tomorrow night.

4 comments:

wes said...

No new Office?! That just ruined my Thursday. :(

X said...

Funny story. If you like weird news you should visit www.fark.com it's got everything you could think of...from all over the world!

The Grunt said...

Hey, I have a name. Those German scientists were just big jerks to me, I tells ya. There was no way that I was going to move for those Krauts.

I have wondered about Cat Power's new album. I have been wearing out my Decemberist's CD lately.

Scott said...

You catching the free Sloan show on Saturday night???