I had a really great day at school today. Assemblies and literacy test prep meant that I actually had a lot of time to get caught up, and not feel like I go for eight hours without a moment of calm.
I spent some of my day being ticked off by a nasty newspaper front page about "BAD TEACHERS!!!" that made it sound like we were a bunch of drunks who belittle and abuse our students. I'm all for getting rid of the bad apples, but seriously, fear-mongering journalism is not cool at all. Happy World Teachers' Day (yesterday) indeed. This article has accomplished nothing except to stir up anti-teacher rhetoric from people who do not understand what a demanding and important job we do. However, it doesn't matter because at the end of each and every day, I know that I've made a huge difference in the lives of my students and that's what keeps me going.
I'm going to shut up about that article because I've gotten it out of my system by writing a letter to the editor with my work spouse, running 4.18 miles, and doing a little bit of shopping. Roots had a 15% of sale and I bought this interesting cowl-necked sweatshirt. It's made of sweatshirt material, and is totally comfy but looks pretty funky. It'll be great for the cool weather that's coming our way this weekend.
This weekend will be fun too. I think I might have an afternoon of coffee and shopping tomorrow, a re-viewing of "The Help" on Sunday, and Saturday night is Nuite Blanche. Jason and I are planning to go late to avoid the crowds (hopefully). I'll definitely write about it next post.
But for now, I'm thinking that a hot bath, a glass of wine, reading, and hitting the sack early are the way to this Friday.
Happy weekend all!
8 comments:
I like that new shirt! I have one like it but it's a sweater. I'm going to wear it tonight!
I wish we were staying home for a quiet Friday, but Brad wants to go out. Your night of hot baths and reading sounds great!
It's so weird - this week I heard three, THREE people say that teachers are nothing but babysitters. I couldn't BELIEVE it! Trust me, I tore a strip off all three of them for you.
I dislike that shirt in the photo. What did you call that neck style? Cowl neck?
I'm noticing a bunch of shirts these days with that cowl neck feature.
I don't like that cowl neck feature. Not because it hides a woman's bah-zooms. But because that extra flap of fabric reminds me of foreskin.
I've ruined that shirt for you now, haven't I?
Jabba - Thanks for tearing a strip off those people. Grrr, they make me mad!
wigsf - I reject your comparison. It's too big and floppy to be a foreskin. I will wear my new shirt happily still. :)
I'm far too lazy and cold to attend Nuit Blanche this year. I would have loved to particiate in A City Sleepover though, sounds like an interesting idea! Have fun and take lots of photos!
hahah foreskin! I didn't think of that at all. I really like it.
I also agree that the article did make teachers sound bad in general, but I find it important to weed out the bad apples.
No plans = epic win. Hope you had great fun at Nuite Blanche!
Cxx
I think Teachers are the most amazing superheros. And actually the babysitter comment - yea babysitting 30 kids! Imagine that? Not many people could do it - and have them learn something at the same time. I've always wondered how teachers even get students attention these days with the technology and short attention spans. EEEK!
As for the sweater, I am actually not a fan of the cowl neck - and interestingly enough last week I went to this thing where a celebrity stylist gave fashion advice - she said that no one should where these. Sorry ladies!
You mean you're not a bunch of belittling drunks? Just kidding. There are definitely a lot more good apples than bad in my opinion. Hope you enjoyed your weekend.
Post a Comment