Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Scribble something down quick; try to make the words stick.

This is my favourite song these days.



Do you ever wonder how the hell you became an adult?  I often feel that I am completely ill-equipped to be a grown-up.  A friend of mine posted some article about the difference about being in your twenties and in your thirties, and while yes, I can relate to many thirty-something stereotypes, like a love of sleep, and not being able to stay out as late as I used to, I still have a lot of twenty-something qualities like my kitchen pretty much just being the place where my microwave lives, and the fact that I still have cast-off dishes.  I could buy nicer dishes, but using that money for oh, a train ticket from Vienna to Munich, always seems like a better idea.

I get so busy during the school year, that I can often use that as an excuse for hiding from adult responsibility.  When summer comes along, however, I have time to do all of the adult things, and I've tackled some of them lately.  In fact, this awesome blog post from Hyperbole & A Half always comes to mind whenever I decide that I'm going do some responsible adult stuff. 

 This was me today:



After my financial wheeling-and-dealing, I rewarded myself with a beer on a patio.  Then a nap.

The other adult task I tackled this summer was finally getting my eyesight checked after goodness knows how many years.  I was pretty sure that I could see fine, but good to get a professional opinion, right?   Who knows what kind of ocular disorders could be developing?

I found myself an optometrist down the street from me and made an appointment for my first eye-exam in a long time.  He did one test where a picture of my eyeball was taken, and I got to see my optic nerve on a computer screen!  (science nerd alert)  After all that, I passed all of my tests with flying colours, but I am a bit hyperoptic (far-sighted).  He wrote me a prescription for reading glasses that are supposed to help me avoid tiredness and headaches when I'm doing close-up things like reading, looking at a computer screen, and (ugh) marking. 

I got the glasses today and I think they make me look a little bit Liz Lemon-y.  I guess I should wear them if I ever feel like getting my night cheese on.



The older I get, the more I realize I think we're all just playing along at this adult-game because we have to.  As I've grown-up, I realize my parents were making it up as they went along, my teachers made it up as they went along, and now I'm totally making it up as I go along.

And now that I've gotten some grown-up shit done, and some philosophical thinking, I can curl up again with my YA book, because I'm all about the YA fiction these days.  I'll have to write a post about it later.

4 comments:

Claire said...

Working on my night cheese!

Love the specs, lady - they suit you.

I am *totally* faking this grown up shebang.

Unknown said...

I had this conversation last night with someone who finally has a real job (as a research student)and has suddenly realised that if they want to eat and have clean clothes and do well at work then having a life becomes really, really hard. It takes so much mental energy to be a functional adult. Ugh. But it has lots of freedoms too, like when you get to choose not to be in fun ways.

Basically yes to this and loving your new glasses x

Jabba said...

I love your new glasses too!

I often wonder about myself as an adult too - how the hell?! And are people like me really running the show??! It's scary to think how many of us are just making it up as we go along (well said). Lately I've adopted a new attitude of not caring/getting upset over stupid stuff.

A very adult decision I guess.

Kevin said...

two words jumped at me from that post: Vienna, Munich

such beautiful cities. Pictures, please!