This city does music festivals well. I hope the summer fests at Fork York/Garrison Commons never end. After my second year of Field Trip in June, I took in my second year of TURF (Toronto Urban Roots Fest) today. It's a three-day festival, but I chose just to take in today's show with my pals Eric & Paul.
I got there just in time for Twin Forks. Twin Forks is the new project of Chris Carrabba of Dashboard Confessional. This dude has pretty much been my #1 rock and roll crush since my early twenties. I hadn't seem in years, and I was giddy like a teenage girl as soon as he took the stage.
I was so happy when they played a Dashboard Confessional, "Stolen". (How did this come out eight years ago?? Where has time gone?)
I love the new Twin Forks music, and thanks to my TURF app, I found out that they are playing a little show on the Horseshoe on Tuesday night, and OF COURSE I'm going because school nights don't exist in my July/August world.
One of their songs, called "Something We Just Know" has a line that goes "I use my gut, and my gut don't lie to me." Earlier in the day, I made a decision using my gut, which I always question, and I felt that this was a sign I did the right thing. (Usually my gut is right, but I spend so much time questioning it.)
As if my inner-twenty-six year old wasn't pleased enough with Twin Forks, next on the docket was Jenny Lewis, who apart from having a great solo career, is from the band Rilo Kiley, which you all know is Ms. Rilo Kitty's namesake.
I missed out on her first two songs because the printed schedule said she would take the West Stage at 4:30 pm, and my TURF app said 4:10 pm. We decided that the huge printed posters were most likely right, so I hung out with Eric & Paul at the South Stage watching Noah Gunderson, who was a fave of Paul's. (This concurrent scheduling meant the three of us had to break up for a bit.)
Well, the app was right, and I could hear Jenny singing "Close Call" as I headed toward West Stage. Luckily, I got there just in time to hear "The Moneymaker", a Rilo favourite. Her set was great: just enough Rilo Kiley, solo stuff, and new stuff to make me nostalgic and excited for her new album at the same time. Yay! This song almost brought me to tears. (Note: I'd also had many beers at that time too, so I was super emo.)
I could have gone home happy then, but we also were treated to a fun set by the Bidini band, and then caught Jeff Tweedy, who was amazing. We saw a little bit of Neutral Milk Hotel, but then we decided to finish the night with Hollerado. That was a great choice because they are super fun. They also fit with the nostalgic feeling of the day, because I'd had a lot of fun seeing them at The Wolfe Island Music Festival in Kingston two summers ago .
After Hollerado left the stage, everyone was clapping for an encore, and they came back out, but couldn't do an encore because all of the mics were shut off. So the drummer joked that they should lead the crowd in singing O Canada, and everyone started and did the whole song which was a hilarious and fun moment.
What a fun day.
2 comments:
It sounds fantastic. I've sometimes cried at Better Son/Daughter when it unexpectedly comes on my iPod at 8.30am so I think a couple of beers totally makes it okay x
I cry at concerts all the time!! I wonder why it's so emotional?!
Post a Comment