Friday, November 25, 2005

Smiled and said "yes I think we've met before."

Okay, I'm totally going to have to use April's favourite saying: Woo-hoo!! Last night, I found out that Stars added two more shows in December, and I immediately bought tickets online! So now I don't have to pretend that Stars are NOT playing in Toronto. Oh man, I'm gonna totally lose it when they play "Your Ex-Lover is Dead" which is still the most listened to song on my iPod.

Anyway, I survived p/t interviews - I did 31 in 3 hours. I think I'm pretty concise. Even though I had so many, I processed them pretty quickly so I never really had a line-up. Most of the interviews were with the students who are doing well, so those are easy but I did get to meet with the parents of some of the weaker students in my courses. Unfortunately, a lot of the parents of some of the slackers in my period 4 class did not attend. Oh well, that's what the phone is for. Although, I really do like meeting the parents in person. It gives you insight into a different aspect of the student. It's cool that a lot of the students come along with their parents. I think it's very good that they hear what I have to say.

So today we had a PD day addressing students at-risk and ways to improve student success at our school. I have an educational assistant in my periods 3 and 4 classes. She was also in one of my classes last year, so she knows my teaching style well. Anyway, she totally warmed my heart when she came up to me at the end of the day and said "I was totally thinking about you during all of the presentations today. You're the best! You already do all of the stuff they were talking about." I know that I'm not perfect by any means, and I have a lot to learn at this point in my career, but I do feel that I work really hard to help my students acheive success and that I am having a positive impact in their lives.

This evening I ran to the Eaton Centre to get my pal F's Christmas gift. TB and I are meeting up with her in Whitby for our annual Christmas get together. (A little early, I know, but we have hectic schedules.) I got her an Austrlian flag charm for her bracelet, since she went to Oz with me in the summer. When I got home, I hung out with my roomie and we had some deep discussions about life and religion and politics and whatnot. It's really nice hanging out with my roommate; we're rarely home at the same time and we don't hang out as much as I think we'd both like to.

I think I'm at such an amazing time in my life; I have a totally awesome roommate, great friends, good family and I love the school I'm at and I really love my job. I'm always amazed at how things have fallen together for my in the past year. I don't know why I'm so lucky but I'm thankful for all that I have.

Okay, now that I've gotten all mushy, I'd better go to sleep. Hanging out with F in Whitby means power shopping, so I need my energy. Have a goodweekend everyone!

3 comments:

m@ said...

omg I'm soooo jealous! I tried leaving comments a while ago, but blogger wouldn't accept them for some damn reason.
Stars never play here :( When you see them tell them I said they have to come to wpg.

Scott said...

Nice that you got the tickets. Sound like you are having a good time... even though you did spend some time in Whitby!! Thanks for the comments regarding my debate about getting away. I think that saving like mad is the way to go for me...

Scott

Unknown said...

So happy you got your tix!!! Hope you had a fab time in Whitby :)