Wednesday, December 21, 2005

God rest ye merry gentlemen let nothing you dismay.

Today my period 1 grade 9s were all stressed out about their period 2 English test on "To Kill A Mockingbird". I commented that I had read that book when I was in high school and that I'd really liked it (most of them hate it). I hear one kid grumble "As if they teach the same books for thirty years..."

Me: "Thirty years!!! Thirty years!?! What!?! You think it's been thirty years since I've been a student??"

I can hear other kids mumbling "No, Miss it's only been maybe, what, five years since you've been in high school... maybe ten..."

Me: "Okay, that's a bit better. I thought I was going to have rip up the easy quiz I was going to give you guys and write a new super super hard one."

Anyway, they make me laugh. Some of my students want to know my age and I usually just say I'm ancient. If they were really astute, they'd be able to figure it out since I once told them that I was 10 when the Simpsons first aired. (Doesn't everyone know that was in 1990?) Usually they can get it in the 25 ballpark but I refuse to disclose the magic number.

So I'm feeling much less stressed and overwhelmed today. I just spent a small fortune on candy for students, coworkers and some friends.

Last night my roommate and exchanged Christmas gifts. She's off to BC for Christmas. She got me "March of the Penguins" on DVD and a nifty Christmas ornament. I love that movie, plus I can work it into the grade 10 ecosystems unit and let the TV teach the kids for a bit.

Well, I can smell that my dinner's almost ready.

ps Download the version of the carol above by the Barenaked Ladies and Sarah McLachlan. It's very merry. ;)

5 comments:

Raina* said...

a-hahahaha thirty years!!!
kids can be such little punks eh?

fyi, i had nooo clue when the Simpsons first aired.

-jason- said...

i agree with you... to kill a mockingbird is a good book.

your students are hillarious.

you received some coolio presents.

2 more days right?

Scott said...

Kids are hillarious, I have clients try and guess my age all the time and I usually get anywhere from 25-35. They have no clue! It is pretty funny though.

Glad that you have Christmas under control. You actually shop on Christmas eve eh? you are a trooper.

Lea said...

Oh I totally know what year the Simpsons first aired. I was 14. The beginning years and last few years of the Simpsons suck, but I am a huge fan of the middle years, LOL.

My students like to try to know my age as well. Sometimes they guess like 19. But other times they think it's weird that a teacher would be younger than their parents - just doesn't seem right to a 7 year old that a teacher should be young, LOL.

Yeah I love that BNL/Sarah version too. Was listening to it yesterday.

I am officially on Xmas break now!!!!! Hope you survive your next two days.

Anonymous said...

March of the Penguins is awesome!!! I love that movie too. Kids try to guess my age as well but with better success. And when they guess it, it's like they've discovered a cure for the common cold! And them figuring out my first name. It's like finding the Holy Grail!!!