I'm suffering from a terrible malady: spring fever. I'm sooooooooo not impressed with having to be cooped up inside all day when it's lovely out. I think I'm getting more restless then the kids.
It doesn't help that the the third floor of our school, on which I teach, is hot hot hot right now. Plus, the caretakers have an ongoing battle with overheated science teachers on the issue of having open windows. The windows in my classroom need a handle in order to be opened. Now, I am not in possession of one such handle. Luckily, I am able to get the windows opened by using two students: one to turn the knob while one stands on a chair and pushes the window open.
This semester I have been teaching in the room next door to mine for one period. In this room, my two student solution does not work to open the windows. It's been fine so far, but today the classroom was like an oven on account of the warmer weather, plus I'm sure they still have the heater cranked, and hot air rises to the third floor you know. Anyway, the teacher who is normally in that classroom is in possession of one of the coveted window opening handles, but I wasn't sure of her hiding place. Today, the kids were boiling and so was I. I sent a student to look for her, but no luck.
I found her after school to ask her where she hides the handle. Turns out, she always carries it with her in her briefcase because if she hides in a drawer, the caretaker tends to find it and takes it away. (He doesn't seem to understand that insufferable heat does not a good learning environment make. Apparently this issue's been going on for years.) So we have a new handle plan. The handle is hidden in a locked drawer in the science office, with the appropriate key hidden in another drawer. Will it be found? I hope not, or my next post will be that I'm taking a week off of work on account of heat exhaustion.
Last night I found a shirt in my closet that I haven't worn in probably two years (most likely due to the fact that it needed ironing). Anyway, I ironed last night and wore it today and loved it. Don't you love it when you can go shopping in your own closet?
Survivor is back on tonight. Stupid NCAA basketball messing up my tv plans for like three weeks. Ridiculous.
I don't have much planned this weekend, although I really need to do some spring cleaning. My bedroom looks like some sort of clothing bomb went off in it. Plus, I think that the dust bunnies under the bed are on the verge of forming some sort of unholy army and staging a coup. In other words, the real question is will I be able to come up with plans quick enough to avoid my spring cleaning?
Okay, I'm running out to run an errand get myself a coffee (half real, half decaf - that should let me sleep) before Survivor. I'm ashamed to admit that I've become addicted to Starbucks coffee. It's now the coffee that I crave. The unfornuate thing, besides the fact I feel a little cliche and rather like a corporate schill, is that my neighbourhood Starbucks is under renovation for the next week. So I'll have to settle for the Second Cup. There is a Tim Hortons near me too, but that's my least favourite coffee. Well, except for Coffee Time coffee, which tastes like warm dish water to me.
7 comments:
I totally agree on Coffee Time 'coffee'. ew.
I also totally remember those awful, hot days in March at school. Shame to see that no one's wised up.
I have one classroom this semester that's like an oven, its terrible, and it only has little windows that open. I have trouble staying awake in the class because of the heat, and it doesn't help that it is an evening class. :)
p.s. shame on you for the Starbucks coffee, for shame!! :p
That sucks about the heat... i remember those warm oven like days in class growing up. Never fun. Hope that you have better luck today.
Cheers,
Scott
I'm glad you found the handle and I hope it stays hidden....shhhhhh :)
I've recently become addicted to Starbucks too. And I just found out that if you use skim milk, it reduces the fat but like 95 % (Yes, I'm slow). To give you an idea....a grande Caramel Machiato is 12 grams of fat with whole milk....with skim is 1 g. I choose skim from now on! :)
Ohhh sweet coffee...I live across the street from a country style, which I call coffee time cause I can never remeber the name ofit, and I would sooner drink dish water than what they brew. I have had starbucks once, and never again. It was nerveracking to order, wasn't sure if I was saying stuff right. Damn those cool names. Survivor was ok last night...maybe the withdrawls aren't over. I had a similar handle problem - I found that needle nose pliers often substitute for a good handle, or teach hooligans - they can breakinto or out of anything!!
i love that song lyric. that's a really good death cab song. i tried to get into their other stuff and haven't been able to so far, though.
re: window handle...LOL...sorry for your misadventures. I hope you come out on top. We have keys for our windows too - but it's to turn the blinds. I know, insane. Another key to add to the collection of bling around my neck.
Post a Comment