Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Newsflash: Insomnia leads to long lists

I fell asleep while watching the movie Rent tonight and now I can't sleep. I've seen other bloggers write a list of 100 things about themselves. I decided I'd try that, figuring that I'd nod off after item #20. Apparently not. I was able to get all the way to 100.

Here are the first fifty things about me. I'll post the other fifty sometime when I can't think of anything decent to blog about.

1) I was born in 1980.
2) I lived on a farm until I was almost 3.
3) I’m an only child.
4) I’m a cat person.
5) I like dogs too.
6) I had a rabbit named Flopsy when I was in fourth grade.
7) I skipped the first grade.
8) I was always obsessed with my grades in school.
9) I have two degrees – An honours bachelor of science and a bachelor of education.
10) I read about a book a week.
11) I love Harry Potter.
12) I also love Lemony Snicket.
13) I like books that take place in Canada, especially Toronto.
14) I’ve lived in Toronto for about 7 years (on and off).
15) I love the city; but I always look forward to returning home to the small town where I grew up for a break now and then.
16) I think cemeteries are cool.
17) I can see Mount Pleasant cemetery from my window.
18) I used to hold my breath when driving by cemeteries so that I wouldn’t inhale any spirits.
19) I don’t really believe in ghosts but I like the idea of them.
20) I really once think that I heard a ghost, but deep down I’m sure there’s a logical explanation for the occurrence.
21) I went on a walking ghost tour of Stratford one summer and it was very fun.
22) I want to travel more.
23) I sometimes order travel information for places that I’d like to go on the internet just for fun, even though I’m not planning an immediate trip.
24) I received some information on Wales in the mail the other day.
25) My paternal grandfather was from Wales.
26) His family moved to Canada when he was about twelve.
27) He had 14 brothers and sisters. None of them had more than 3 children themselves.
28) My mother was born in Poland during World War II.
29) She and her family were captured by the Germans and were forced to work on a farm in Germany.
30) After the War they immigrated to Timmins, Ontario.
31) Both of my parents attended the University of Toronto. My mom graduated, my dad dropped out.
32) I also attended U of T.
33) My guidance counselor in high school told me that it would be a mistake to go to U of T. It was the best decision of my life. Ha!
34) I took a course in the World of Popular Music. I got a really good mark in that class.
35) My best mark in university was in my Evolution class.
36) I think Darwin would be a great name for a cat.
37) As soon as I have a roommate who is not allergic to cats, or when I live by myself, I am going to get a cat.
38) I love the song by the Weakerthans that is written from the point of view of a cat.
39) My favourite song of all time is “Reconstruction Site” by the Weakerthans.
40) The first non-children’s album I owned was by Whitney Houston.
41) The first CD I owned was a compilation called 2 Awesome. It had great stuff like TLC, Sir Mix-A-Lott and Sophie B. Hawkins on it.
42) The first “alternative” CD I owned was Vs. by Pearl Jam.
43) I own lots of CDs. I’ve lost track of how many.
44) The artist who has the most songs on my iPod is Tori Amos.
45) I didn’t like Tori Amos until I worked in an art gallery where that was the only CD that was around for me to listen to. Then she really grew on me.
46) The first concert that I went to was a Melissa Etheridge concert.
47) I can’t count the number of concerts that I’ve been to since then.
48) I try to go to at least one concert a month.
49) I used to have a rule that I was only allowed to buy one CD a month. I don’t follow that rule anymore.
50) I’ve been lucky – I’ve really gotten along with all of the roommates that I’ve ever had.

11 comments:

Aaron said...

9) Did you have a science specialiation, or general? I'd guess biology though from that evolotion class and Darwin the cat heh. I agree, that'd be a fun name.

49) Rules are made to be broken anyways right?

Aaron said...

ooops, clearly typing is not my 'specialization'.

X said...

LOL!! Maybe I should try typing lists when I am finding it hard to sleep! Good stuff!

:)

s said...

WOW!! I love the flow from one to another...your mind is amazing when you can't sleep!
Cats are a good pet, but they are no dog!

wes said...

I always hold my breath when I pass cemetaries too, but I never knew why, thanks for explaning it for me. :)
And I like songs that say Saskatoon in them, like 'Comin Home' by City & Colour and 'Unfolding' by Wide Mouth Mason. Those are the only ones I can think of right now. :)

-jason- said...

i guess you're one of those super smart people huh?

"I used to hold my breath when driving by cemeteries so that I wouldn’t inhale any spirits." very cute.

wales is one of the places on the top of my list, along with scotland, and ireland.

good list.

Anonymous said...

Awww...Virtue the cat!

This is soo uncool but I'll divulge: 1st ever CD "The Bodyguard Soundtrack." It has Whitney Houston. I shake my head now. But it was a good record!

The UK is on the top of my vacation list.

Jocelyn said...

Darwin would be an adorable name for your cat, not going to lie.

Scott said...

First ever album that I bought and yes it was actually a vinyl. It was Strange Animal by Gowan. Pretty fun eh?

D

Lea said...

great list! i think one of the first actual cd's that i bought (not tapes) was the honeymoon in vegas soundtrack, lol. lame movie, but good soundtrack.

Raina* said...

I have a weakness for lists... I love them.

You got all the way to 100 in one sitting? I've been trying for months.