Tuesday, July 04, 2006

So you could always meander and forever be able to run away...

Last night my roomie and I went to see "The Devil Wears Prada". My verdict = fun.

Summer vacay rolls on, and as such, I really have nothing to blog about except how I'm procrastinating doing my spring cleaning (which I saved for the summer). In lieu of having anything interesting in my life to blog about, I'm just going to listen to ten songs randomly on my iPod and blog about them. Here goes:

1) Without Mythologies - The Weakerthans > Probably one of my least fave Weakerthans songs, although I always enjoy it live. Who am I kidding? If they sung Frere Jacques live, I'd enjoy that too. I kinda always giggle at the word "hoar frost" in the song. I wasn't really sure of what that is, so I looked it up. Here's a picture of hoar frost.



2) Lost Together - Blue Rodeo > Whenever I hear any Blue Rodeo song, I think about how much I like Jim Cuddy's voice. I've seen Blue Rodeo twice; both times for free. Maybe I should pay to go to one of their concerts sometime...

3) Somthing Pretty - Patrick Park > My blog buddy m@ kept telling me to get this song and I finally listened and I'm glad that I did 'cuz I really like it. It makes me think of all of the farmland surrounding Stratford for some reason, even though the land there isn't filled with tobacco fields. Oh, thinking about farms has just made me remember that last night I had a dream that my friend Joanna's horse stepped on my iPod and broke it. I guess I should more accurately file that under the nightmare category.

4) Love & Death - The Stills > I'm bad. I bought the Stills' first album "Logic Will Break Your Heart" eons ago and I never really listen to it. I think that is because I bought it at the same time as I bought Damien Rice's "O" and that CD won the battle of competing interests. I have to admit that this song isn't bad but it's no "Lola Stars and Stripes". I love that freakin' song. Guess The Stills peaked for me with Lola. (Deep dark secret - Lola would be on my list of potential baby names. Not 'cuz of the song, I've always thought it's a neat name. However, too many celebrities have been stealing that name. Boo.)

5) Care of Cell #44 - Matthew Sweet & Susanna Hoffs > This is a cover of some sixties song from the aforementioned duo's 60s cover album. It's okay but it's too sugary sweet for my mood right now. Next please.

6) All You Need Is Love - The Beatles > Apparently I'm stuck in the 60s at the moment. But if I am gonna be stuck in the 60s, I might as well be stuck with the Beatles. My fave all time Beatles song is "A Day in the Life" which we studied in the World of Popular Music course I took in university. Best. Course. Ever. Love that my degree included studying musical movements from disco to punk to the Beatles and everything in between.

7) Don't Forget - Martha Wainwright > I like Martha a lot but I probably don't listen to her enough. With the exception of the song Bloody Motherfucking Asshole, which is in my top 20 of most-listened-to songs. I like its passion. I like its swearing. The song I'm listening to is pleasant, but maybe not one of my faves. Next.

8) Indefinitely - Travis > While I was watching Keane at Edgefest on Saturday, I thought that they reminded me a bit of Travis at time. Then I thought about how a lot of British bands are interchangeable to me. Still, they're good when you're in one of those, you know, mournful moods. I like this song but it's too slow for my mood at the present moment. Next.

9) Just Pretend - The Bens > Ahh, my favourite two Bens (Folds and Lee) with another enjoyable Ben (Kweller) thrown in for good measure. Oh, I totally think that they should call up Ben Gibbard of Death Cab For Cutie and ask him to be on the next EP. If there is going to be another...

10) 405 - Death Cab for Cutie > Oh wow, and speak of the devil! This is from the DCFC's live EP "The John Byrd EP". I love the line in this song "Misguided by the 405 and it lead me to an alcoholic summer..." Also I love the use of the word "askew" in this song. Not used nearly enough in song.

Okay, so my iPod just generated a total stream-of-conciousness post. Neat. Now I'm off to check the mail and maybe meander over to Starbucks. Ciao! (In honour of Italy, who's going to the World Cup finals...)

6 comments:

wes said...

lol, is there anything an ipod can't do, it just wrote your post basically. :p

It was a good idea though, I may have to use it sometime. I agree with you about when you buy 2 cds at the same time. One of them always gets listened to more than the other, and than I eventually forget about the other cd. Only to be rediscovered at a later date. :)

s said...

I swear you could not live without your ipod.
The list was good - I shall look up a few of those songs for a listen.

The Grunt said...

Thanks for the recommendations, Christielli. I know the original "Care of Cell #44" and it's not as sugary as the cover. I'm evolving. I just got into DCFC. See, I was into all those really manly man pirate/lumberjack groups before (don't listen to me, I'm full of crap). No, I am pretty well rounded, just barely getting into some of the newer stuff--if you can even still call DCFC new.

Scott said...

I too am a fan of The Bens and Martha Wainright. There are some great tunes there.

Scott

X said...

Can I just say how much I love the song Lost Together by Blue Rodeo? Whenever I hear it, it always just makes me feel. Nothing in particular, I just feel.

And I'm really starting to get into Martha.

PS: Check your email! :)

m@ said...

I do so enjoy Martha Wainwright. She has a great duet with Snow Patrol, on the song Set Fire to the Third Bar.

Hoar frost makes for a darn gorgeous day/morning.