Sunday, September 20, 2009

I'm just going to take a minute and let it breeze.

I had a really really good weekend.

Well, actually, it started on Thursday night, when I couldn't sleep, so I stayed up late making fun of a Conservative Party propaganda ad with a good friend of mine on MSN. I've been laughing about it all weekend, and even used it to prank-call my parents tonight. (Note: if you want to be creeped out, try out my real name, Christine, in the ad.)

Then, on Friday, I had a really nice day at work. My classes were pleasant, and a couple of kids in my third period made me laugh really hard. Two of my little punks were sitting at a table and were having a grand old time chatting and not doing their work. So I sat down at their table to help them get back on task. One of the kids said "Miss, you just KILLED the table!" I replied that it's my job to kill tables.

Anyway, I've taken to the saying "you killed the table" and intend to use it as often as I can. For example, I completely killed the table when I was in Ratford having drinks with friends and I shared with them that I came up with an algorithm to make it easier to calculate tips in my head. Note: they love me despite my nerdiness. Luckily, the table revived itself that time.

Also, Friday was a nice day at work 'cuz at the end of the day some of my former students who are starting their first year in U of T science dropped by. It was nice to see them, and it made me nostalgic for when I was in their shoes eleven years ago. I really enjoyed my uni days.

Speaking of uni, I went to see K'naan on Friday night with two of my friends who I met back in uni. It was a great time. I'd never really listened to K'naan before I was invited to the show earlier in the week. I downloaded his awesome album "Troubadour" and I've been listening to it ever since. K'naan's music is intensely powerful: he's a Somali refugee, and he raps a lot about his experiences, but he's able to retain some levity in some of his songs so that it's not too depressing to listen to. Anyway, the show was high energy, and his songs put your life into perspective. I'd really recommend listening to his songs "Take a Minute", "Waving Flag" and "Fatima" if you are interested. I'm glad that I tried something new that's out of my typical area. I think I should aim to try more new things in the near future.

I think I can't handle late nights as well as I used to, because I was exhausted on Saturday. I lounged for part of the day, then went to Starbucks to have a pumpkin latte and do some marking. When I came home, I still felt yucky, so I had a warm bath and went to bed early.

Thankfully, I felt better today. I had a coworker's baby's baptism to attend, so I went to that, and then had a really nice time at the after-party. It was a Korean BBQ held at her condo's party area on a balcony on the 27th floor. It was a bit windy up there, but it was sunny and the view was lovely, as was the food and the company.

Also, I got an email today from a friend of mine who's been in Japan for the last couple of years and has just returned to Canada. I've missed her a lot, and I'm very excited that she's back in the province, but unfortch, not in TO. The email was a sunny start to my day.

Anyway, now I'm watching the Emmys. I'm not liking some of their choices, and I kind of wish Kanye was there to correct them. Ha-ha.

I'm looking forward to next week. Even though work will be busy, I've got a concert to look forward to on Tuesday night. We've been having a record number of sunny days in Toronto (something like 22), and I think it's supposed to rain this week, but I don't think even a break in our sunny streak will dampen my happy mood these days.

4 comments:

wigsf said...

(I'm going to do us both a favour and skip the huge political rant a younger and immature version of me would write here.)

You came up with an algorithm to calculate tips??? Oh c'mon! Just throw down a random that seems appropriate. Or one that rounds to a decent number. That's what I do. Or just throw down whatever loose change you've got in yer pocket.

Jocelyn said...

you're so busy and it's awesome that you're in a happy mood!! haha poor emmy's without kaye to set them straight :)

Miss Ash said...

Sounds like a lovely weekend though I do agree age seems to be catching up and not in a good way.

I think you said previously that you won tickets to an awards show or something and I forgot to ask which show?

rawbean said...

Okay this is totally random, but have you watched the show "Being Erica"? It takes place in TO. IT's really good!! I have watched all of Season 1 online.

Check it out!